Why is my X220 tablet randomly logging me out?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hotsauce, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will be sitting here, actively using my X220 tablet and then *boom* out of the blue, it logs me out to the Windows login screen.

I do not use the feature that locks the computer if no user is detected for 30 seconds or so. I also use Chrome browser, which I have read may be the root of this issue. I'm heavily invested in Google products and much prefer Chrome, so switching browser is not an option (if I can avoid it).

It's running the factory image and is set up just the way I want it, so I'd prefer not to re-format and start over (Office licensing and such will surely give me a headache). I am not hitting any particular key combo that would trigger this (as far as I know). It just does it on it's own.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? It's very annoying and happens several times a day. I will be in the middle of doing something and the screen goes black, logs me out and I have to log back in.

This has me completely stumped and and advice is appreciated...

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you scanned your machine for malware? We had a whole host of laptops that did that, randomly logged out user. Malware had replaced userinit.exe with an infected file (which required mounting the drive externally, loading the hive in regedit, yadda yadda, real fun stuff).

3. hotsauce

Reputations:
    Hmm, scanning now with MSFT Security Essentials. Any better recommendations? (not interested in Norton or any bogging down software). I'm very careful online and don't need a ton of scanners to protect my PC.

Edit: scanning found zero maware/viruses. Hmm...not sure what to do at this point.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Is there some common thread that you can identify, for example, a program that you're in the middle of using during the logout? As you did mention, Chrome seems to cause this issue with a few people.

5. hotsauce

Reputations:
    Thanks for the research. Strange thing is when I close Chrome it doesn't log me out. It's when I'm actively using Chrome.

Guess I'll (gulp) try out IE9 to see if that fixes it. Really like Chrome though... :(

6. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Try IE9 for a couple days (or Opera as well!) and see if the problem disappears. If so, you could try cleanly uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling (or installing Chromium and see if that changes anything).

7. hotsauce

Reputations:
    I uninstalled the Chrome Beta and re-installed the stable version.

So far, so good. Thanks.

8. hotsauce

Reputations:
    Nope, still happening. This is frustrating.

9. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To me, it's disconcerting that a browser would even have or consider having the ability the log me off (intentionally or unintentionally).

Only way to tell if it's Google-ware is to nuke it and see. No longer trust Google myself.

If you want something fast in the interim, try Maxthon 3.

10. minish

minish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also experienced this problem, but it happens on my regular X220 (non-tablet). I guess I will be switching browsers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.