Why is my Alienware 15 CPU throttling to 800 mhz?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by hslayer, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Windows 10, like I said uninstalling the intel thermal framework solved it for me. It's intel tech that does exactly what it's supposed to do.. for tablets lol cool the case of the tablet if a sensor somewhere else on the board gets too hot.

just my theory :)

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That did not actually fix the underlying problem. It might help minimize the issues you were experiencing, but it's not actually fixed.

Look in the BIOS and see if there is an option for overclocking features to change cTDP to BIOS. If that option is available, with it disabled the machine will perform much better, all of the things in Device Manager that you disabled will go away (won't need to be disabled) and you won't need any Intel DTPF drivers. Using the cTDP option instead of BIOS option always sucks in my experience. Simply changing from cTDP to BIOS (if you have that option available) may instantly resolve everything for you.

What you discovered by removing the Intel DTPF drivers suggests that the CPU power settings may not be set up correctly. If you haven't already done so, try increasing the power limits I suggested. I realize you do not have a 4930MX CPU, but the point of my recommendation is your CPU (no matter which one) will not function correctly if the power limits are set too low.

3. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    Sorry I didn't understand. I have no such options sadly. I only know my info from Throttle Stop. Both Long term and short term are set to 96w for 72s which is the max for a mobile CPU. (unless they changed it for skylake) Used to have a 3840QM at 4.3 GHz on an Asus G46VR so it saddens me I have to do this much work to even get a stock CPU to perform correctly on newer hardware haha. I do a lot of Primegrid so my laptop sits all night at 100% gpu and CPU. Just like my trusty G46VR that 14 inch little laptop survived 4 years of that. this laptop can't even go one hour before acting dumb haha

Also trying to figure out how I can't get the idle power consumption to be 6w again. I now sit at 10 watts after a fresh install of Windows 10 lol

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  4. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    I would agree with Fox this isn't a fix since you are just disabling some hardware interfaces by uninstalling the driver...
    Did you do a clean install of windows or did the pc come with W10? Sounds like either a driver is borked (i.e. dricer cleaning is needed)or the hardware is faulty. Both systems I have have the same board and do not do this at all.

Under what conditions is the system throttling? What should I do in attempts to recreate this?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Even try resetting the BIOS defaults if you haven't already tried that.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    PCH temp around 100c under light loads is more like a faults with your Motherboard. Ask other what temp they have during light loads.

7. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    HWinFo claims that sensor is called the PCH. Now I'm doubting that now as it's current temp is 0.0c lol

8. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    Also i'm not the kinda guy that assumes a faulty motherboard right away. After disabling the thermal framework, no throttling all night long. Most people don't leave their laptops on all night with a full load so if it keeps surviving this week, I'll assume that's a permanent solution. At least the laptop isn't unstable, which then I would point my fingers to faulty hardware.

9. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Well most users are able to install said driver and it works and it is causing adverse results on yours it could point to a hardware failure. After all drivers are software interfaces between the OS and the hardware.
    However it could also point to something wrong with Windows / the drivers. Either way if I was in your situation I would try and figure out why this is happening and not just sweep it under the rug.
    To each his own. :p

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, A half baked solution will only hit back on you later the road. If most people haven't the problem then you need to figure out what's wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.