Why is Carfax so expensive?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by spradhan01, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just one report for $34.99. Is there any good alternative for it?
    I found few sites like vehiclehistorys.com($2.95),vincarhistory.com($6.99), vinchecker.org ($9.99) and something similar.
    Are they all same or carfax got something extra?:confused:

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Wow it has gotten much more expensive. It used to be 1 report for 20 or unlimited for 30 days for 40. I guess people really abused the old pricing lol.

Carfax gives you a good background, but you still need to inspect the car (accidents that weren't reported to insurance).

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With Carfax you can't just worry about there being missing information. You need to worry about there being information on there that is just plain wrong as well. Carfax is cute. It is a whole lot better than nothing, but I would not put much faith in it either way.

4. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any franshised car dealer can typically call up the warranty history of a car of their own make if you have a VIN number. No big deal. Free.

I really think that Carfax doesn't serve much of a purpose, other than merging databases into one report. Big deal. If you don't like the price, don't buy their service.

5. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I generally use Autocheck:

Welcome to AutoCheck

Just enter the VIN number at the end of the URL. I found this on another forum and it seems to serve the purpose of Carfax well. But as stated before, definitely inspect the car regardless of what the report says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.