Why I'll almost certainly never buy MSI or Gigabyte again

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by inperfectdarkness, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    (I wasn't sure what other forum to dump this in, so I'm putting it here.)

-My MSI experience thus far:
    GX660R - Still works like a champ (7 years later, but belongs to the wife now). No issues. Thus when UHD screens became available, it convinced me to buy another MSI...
    GT60 3k IPS Edition - Worked great for 3 years. Then POOF, instant power off. Had it initially diagnosed as a fried motherboard & power supply. 5 weeks later, those parts STILL didn't arrive from the manufacturer. Eventually sourced those parts in the USA. Then discovered that the power brick & the GPU were also fried. Sourced a used GT60 laptop with the same internal specs, intending to splice over the 3k screen & the wifi card from my old one. 3k IPS screen apparently has shorted & we're back to ordering parts from overseas. It's been since December 23rd when this originally had a problem. We're nearly 4 months later, and while I can't necessarily blame a manufacturer for catastrophic internal failures (unknown cause, could potentially be a power surge)--I can most certainly object to it taking over a month for parts to arrive. So now I'm 4 months down and 2 grand into repairs. Oh, and MSI doesn't currently offer the 1070 GTX with a 3k/4K IPS screen (in 15" form factor)--so thoughts of upgrading to current generation...are right out.

-My Gigabyte experience thus far:
    P35x v6 - Purchased because I needed a laptop because my GT60 is hard broke & parts not forthcoming. Needless to say, i needed something powerful & reliable--fast. Within 6 weeks, the right side fan was making noise. It's currently (as near as I can tell) broken. And all gigabyte tells me when I call--is that I'll have to send it in for repairs; thus defeating the entire purpose of why I purchased this laptop in the first place--so that I won't be without a PC. So now I'm gaming only briefly, and with minimum display settings because I don't want this already notoriously hot PC to overheat because of a manufacturing defect. God forbid they do the right thing & send me a replacement fan (or help navigate me to where I can purchase one).

---
    So there you go. I loved MSI; their steel-series keyboards, Dyn-Audio, literally everything but the Killer wireless cards. Only to discover that they don't care about customer service & promptness. And Gigabyte seems to care even less. So even though I'll have to sacrifice some features I loved about MSI--next time I'll probably end up with an Asus or something else. I've nearly exhausted my options for UHD & high-end GPU's in 15" form factor. I wouldn't even have bothered with the Gigabyte if MSI wasn't so gung-ho only forcing high-end GPU buyers into using 120hz FHD; UHD 60hz isn't even an option.

DukeCLR likes this.
  2. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had a GT70 and suspect it to be a fried motherboard after 18 months. Shame I imported it otherwise I would have gotten it on warranty.
    Loving the Clevo and probably wont ever touch MSI again myself.

Papusan likes this.
  3. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm considering an P650HS-G. Last time I had a Sager (Clevo) though, Nvidia f**ked me with their ****astic GTX260 card. TWO of those failed in that miserable machine--and it wasn't a cooling issue.

4. Sugil1844

Sugil1844 Newbie

Reputations:
    P650 hs-g is a great laptop. Im using it and I'm satisfied with it. Its only downside is that its fans run even while running light tasks.
    If you are getting one, dont get 120hz TN panal; its viewing angles are horrible imo.

HTWingNut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.