Why I Will Not Buy A Dell Again.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by tissle, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tissle

tissle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, the technician came today and replaced the motherboard. Great guy too.
    Now everything works, but my original problem is still there (GPU is at 70 right now) but I had enough of dell's incompetence for month.

2. Teriyaki

Teriyaki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love the XPS for this fact alone. My M1210's LCD inverter died and everything was taken care of in 4 business days, starting from my initial phone call to receiving the package back on my doorstep. I was absolutely floored at the speed it was taken care of.

3. mgh_a1

mgh_a1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, the whole process seems to have taken 8 days. That really sucks, but at least you got a fix and in home service. If I lose my lappy (I got the same one) - I'll be a mail order only. Worst of all, I have the dreaded nvidia defect living under the hood of my machine-and friends that are convinced that cheaper PCs are designed to fail after 1-3 years of light use! BAH.

Keep it together though! You sure aren't the first person to lose a motherboard, or get a couple bad parts in a row. If you aren't happy with the way everything gets resolved, maybe you can either get an equivalent (or better) refurb, or at least remember to choose a different brand next time!

4. JBBW

JBBW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been recommending Dell to my friends and family for almost twenty years now but only recently had to deal with them myself. Needless to say, I won't be recommending them from now on.

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    What's your story?

6. LPTP-LVR

LPTP-LVR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why did you recommend them if you had never dealt with them :confused:

7. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Tissle..glad they finally came and replaced the Motherboard.

That's too bad your still having the same issue...I would not give up on this.
    Contact Dell back, and have them try and find some sort of resolve for you.

If not there are still the other options to try and further your resolve...Unresolved Issues form, etc.

Cin ;) :)

8. JBBW

JBBW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a few reasons.
    1) In the early 90's I was very into building pc's for friends and family. I was reading tech journals and kept up to date with prices and performance of hard drives, processors, graphics cards etc. Dell had a very good reputation - at least from what I read.

2) In the late 90's I really was turned on to buying through their online web store. I thought it was great. You just pick exactly what you want and it's all delivered to your doorstep. I have have helped other people order from the site step by step more than half-a-dozen times.

3) The people I knew that had bought from Dell were generally pleased with their products. I heard very few horror stories until the last 5 years.

the short version: I ordered the new m17x notebook computer the morning of the first day it was available. People who ordered very similar systems two and three days later have been in the boxing stage for about 3-5 days now and some will get their systems before the end of this week. Mine is still in the build stage because it's waiting for the black chassis. It's on backorder. Because of that, a 2-3 day delay has become a 12-13 day delay. If everything goes well I should get my system just before the end of the month. Big deal? Well, it is if you consider that the people getting their systems also have the black chassis and the only difference is they ordered theirs by phone instead of online. After reading the Alienware forum I think it's because the orders by phone get placed ahead of the orders from the website. This is even when the company says everything gets processed in order.
    Still, that's not enough for me to drop recommendations for them. The big turn-off is when I called customer 'care' I got the run-around, hang-ups, misinformation, the occasional extremely rude person, and a general feeling a we don't care. This is all before I even get my system. I dread the day I will have to call for customer service. It would really make me feel bad if my sister or a friend had to deal with these people because I recommended them.
    Now don't get me wrong, not all experiences with their support have been bad. Some of the people were very nice but having to deal with other ones - shudder.

9. pmayo

pmayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Because probably like me I never had to call them for service. At one time Dell was reliable -- never had problems with my 8100, 8200, m700, various desktops going back to PC Limited. Zero service calls for over 10 PC's. The last 3 Dells have been service nightmares, M90, XPS-One and the infamous m1330....

Think I would recommend Dell anymore -- NOOOOO.

10. NCarlson

NCarlson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd always recommend Dell, but never product lines such as inspiron and vostro. For these consumer-level laptops, you get what you pay for , which isn't much.

But I swear by Dell Latitude. I am still using my D600, and am seeking to upgrade to an E-series laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.