Why I should NOT switch to Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by MACorNOT, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrightc23

wrightc23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This all seems to come down to your OS preference or more accurately what you're comfortable. Moving from one OS to another is always a bit of a culture shock.

I've got both PC's and Mac's running XP,Vista, OSX and Linux. All have their strengths and flaws. However personally from my experience OSX is the best designed OS of them all. If you prefer Windows then stick with XP.

As for the previous poster suggesting that Office is more reliable in Windows than OSX I assume you're not aware of the huge number of performance related problems with the bloat that is Office 2007? Outlook 2007 in particular has been a disaster. MS have put out a product that cannot deal with mailbox sizes in the same way Outlook 2003 can. What is Microsoft's solution? It was to inform it's users that they are unreasonably working with too large a mailbox. Great in an age of ever increasing broadband speeds and file sizes MS puts out a product that is significantly less efficient than it's predecessor. Upgrade to a new software platform and it's incapable of operating to the same capacity as your previous solution. I won't even go into the issues related to Outlook not supporting true HTML rendering now and forcing everyone to use Word.

Microsoft use their customer base as beta testers and we have to pay for the privilege. As Steve Ballmer described Vista as a 'work in progress' recently. Terrific, you've spent $$$ on an OS and the manufacturer describes it as a work in progress. Linux desktop's can be a work in progress because they are free, but Vista?

2. DamienThorn

DamienThorn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We have relatively limited mailbox sizes where I work, so the largest inboxes that I tend to work with are about 1GB in size. I haven't run into the issues that you seem to have surrounding mail box sizes.

Generally, I have a hard time getting Office 2007 to crash; that's not to say it doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen as often. The users that the 2007 suite has been deployed to generally have positive things to say about it, and Outlook nicely hooks into the various other devices that we have in our environment. We also avoid letting users open HTML content by default in their email systems to limit various system susceptibilities/vulnerabilities.

That isn't to say that problems can't be found in Office 2007, but I've found that many of the problems we ran into have been resolved after SP1 for it came out.

3. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You've been around this site and seen more of these forums than dare I say most of us here. And yet you've managed to own your macbook for the past 6 months and never figured out how to double-finger tap for right clicking? Hmm...fascinating.

If that's the case, it's a shame you never put any effort to learn the OS and then come in here and beat on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of the negativity surrounding macs and OSX interestingly comes from people who never really used either.

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Wow... There is way too much mis-information here in this thread to even begin to correct it all, but ATC's last post really sums up a good portion of it.

Pixelot; To answer one of your questions about themes, Leopard broke it, but in Tiger and previous, they had something nifty called Shapeshifter. People are working on methods to tweak Leopard (Crystal Clear is a start), but it's tricky.

Lysander; I've seen you complain about your Mac for months now. Why haven't you sold them yet? Seriously... if you hate them that much, hit up eBay or Craigslist.

As for crashing; My new Mac Pro (the tower) has not crashed on me yet, and I've had it since early February. I've crashed Quicktime and VLC with some corrupted video files though... but that's what you get when you download... er... those kinds of videos via bittorrent.

My only real issue with Apple is that they don't offer a wider selection of products. It usually goes right from basic consumer to pro. They need a cheaper tower for those that could use a tower, but don't necessarily need the extra processors. They should also offer lower end displays so people will quit saying "Apple displays are overpriced", just because all of their stand-alone LCDs are IPS panels. Oddly enough, they are the only company I know of to get sued for using a TN panel...

The Black MacBook should also be $100 less. $50 for the extra hard drive space and a black case is reasonable, but not $150. And a 15" option would be nice. (Of course all of the MacBook stuff wouldn't apply to me, since I only use a laptop in rough environments, hence my Toughbook.. My Mac stays on the desk at home).

5. Kaiserphoenix

Kaiserphoenix Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not Much Gaming!!!!!!

6. Lysander

Lysander AFK, raid time.

Reputations:
    @ Chris27:

You seem to assume I'm talking about Windows. I'm not. So your arguments about games are void.

That still makes it useless for tasks that require quick clicking, like games. It's a step in the wrong direction when it takes you longer to do a task than before.

Well, I complain about all my machines, but it's only in the last couple of months that I've genuinely wanted to get rid of the Mac. But alas, no one wants to buy it. I can't 'hit up' eBay for security reasons, and craigslist AU is kinda crappy. I do have ads up at uni, so fingers crossed.

7. burningrave101

burningrave101 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think Apple's pricing for their is that bad really compared to what other top S-IPS panels sell for in the same sizes. It wouldn't hurt if they dropped the price a little though, but what they need to do more than anything is refresh their Cinema Display line with newer S-IPS panels. The current ACD's are using old tech compared to what's available in new displays like the ones from NEC. I could care less if they ever offer a TN based display because TN is really not good for anything other than people on a budget or those that only care about input lag for gaming. Plenty of other available options in the TN market already. Quality S-IPS panels in a somewhat affordable range is what we need more of. To me S-IPS is the only thing LCD tech good enough for any real work that involves color production accuracy.

8. burningrave101

burningrave101 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's what they make mice for. Most people buy a regular RF wireless or bluetooth mouse for their MacBook or MBP. For normal tasks I actually prefer the double tapping for right click over having a right click button on the trackpad. To me it seems faster when browsing the web and doing certain things. For other things that require more precision and faster clicking I use a mouse. I don't game though on a laptop so that's a completely nonessential thing to me. If I want to play PC games I build a high-end desktop instead of trying to play todays latest games on low-end laptop specs.

9. Lysander

Lysander AFK, raid time.

Reputations:
    That's a cop out. Carry a mouse around? Why don't I just carry a desktop computer at the same time? I buy a laptop because it's portable, and mice make it less portable. Besides, it's an Apple problem when other manufacturers have workable touchpads.

10. MACorNOT

MACorNOT Newbie

Reputations:
    Last Year, Ive been keeping up with this thread, but that was before Leopard.

The change doesnt bother me as long as they do the same function. However i do have doubts about compatibility issues. Codecs are important because cameras come with all size and type/format videos. I work with mature websites and ive been searching for some web design software for Macs. All i can find is RapidWeaver, what are the other choices??

Remember im not planning on using bootcamp because i believe its not 100% compatible.
    BOTTOM LINE: is web design (with videos) more suitable with OSX or Windows??

Now as for their hardware, im not a fan of it. They put style (hardware) over everything else. Its been a trend of Apples for generations. I dont blame them, thats what theyre known for. And i believe they do overcharge because their percentage of profit is larger than most manufacturers. They never care about going "green" until An Inconvenient Truth caused a stir. After all the money they make, they never once donate to charity. Sorry for this but Apple is a money hungry corporation that mastered the technique of keeping their consumers glued to their products by not offering removing batteries, DRM, more then usual proprietary ports (even iphones headphone) and formats etc.

And Apple users are known to image Steve Jobs persona. Like how they present themselves as being superior to others (Window users). They do seem to be stuck-up spoil rich brats. I do not want to fit in that category.

No flaming, its just my opinion. Im still deciding which operating system fit my needs, im leaning towards OSX but i need a solid WYSIWYG (easy) webdesign program with addition multimedia features. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.