Why have we hit a wall with 2TB Capacity NVMe SSDs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Spartan, Nov 30, 2019.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox, yeah, but that is when the gas-powered generators will be coming along to power the 'portable' desktops we'll need to use then to do real work. :)

P.S. I hope your holidays were great too!

triturbo, Starlight5 and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly just like the maxQ range

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know speaking of SAS drives, why havent they effectively been a working successor to sata? Or at least a 2.5 nvme drive with 16+gb storage. 2.5 doesnt need to go away in full sized laptops, but it does need to evolve. U.2 is the term for 2.5 inch nvme I believe.

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd hope that workstation-class mobiles would do better than that, but given the direction of phones, the ThinkPad P73 with its non-user-replaceable battery, and the MacBook "Pro", it's all too likely that you're right.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    U.2 would make a lot more sense than SAS, I'd think.

6. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Zbooks have user replacable batteries
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    And, we are already starting to see ALIENWARE laptops with more than CPU and GPU soldered to the mobo. That is a really horrible sign of how bad things might get. This sort of thing is absolutely inexcusable, but I knew this would happen once the BGA cancer started to metastasize. A little bit of leaven leavens the entire lump of dough.

tilleroftheearth and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    My thoughts exactly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    As long as there are people willing to tolerate this filth, there is not a chance in hell that things are going to improve. The only way it will stop is for consumers to reject the insanity and cause the sale of this sort of rubbish to fail, but it's clear that's not going to happen. There are too many people that either don't know any better, or their tolerance for disposable trash is too great to serve the greater good.

10. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this goes too far. The number of people who will be interested in upgrading their CPU or GPU is pretty small. I've done it (on a Dell Inspiron 8000 and I don't recall whether I also did on an Inspiron 8200; for that matter, I also upgraded the display in the I8000) but these days the pace of CPU improvements is simply too fast to make that worthwhile for very long, since newer CPUs will need newer chipsets at least to take full advantage of their capabilities. There are at least some machines that cater to people who want to do this (some of the big Clevos); I hope that those options don't go away, but that's never going to be mainstream.

I think a lot more people are interested in increasing the memory and storage capacity, and replacing the battery when it wears out. Again, that's probably not going to be mainstream consumer, but people who buy workstation type machines would have a more reasonable expectation of being able to do this.