Why have we hit a wall with 2TB Capacity NVMe SSDs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Spartan, Nov 30, 2019.

1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, but 4TB is not the same as 8'ish TB. And combining multiple M.2's into a single larger filesystem requires using RAID or LVM, both of which have their headaches.

My storage needs are only going to increase with my next body, whatever that is. Hopefully Canon comes out with a 7DmkIII; if that uses the same 32MP sensor as the 90D, that's going to be a 60% increase in file size.

2. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think both of us replied to your post about 2TB being the largest you were aware of. That was right after @yrekabakery posted a link to a 4TB M.2 so it made it seem like you did not see that link. It may have been a typo in your post.

5. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll swap 2 1tb m2 and 2 1tb ssd for a 4tb lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What you said :)

You know in theory something like this in nvme should be doable. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M-2-SATA-Adapter-S322M225R/dp/B076S9VK1M

That said, since we already have 1tb micro sd cards, the OP's logic of seeing 4tb+ drives really isnt out of the question.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    If 4TB is tight now, 8TB isn't going to make a significant difference for any long-term gains.

Invest instead in an 8 Bay or larger NAS and give your storage (and backup/redundancy plan) a real boost instead.

If possible; use a 2TB M.2 drive for you O/S and a 4TB 2.5" SSD for your 'take-along' storage options. When back at the office; immediately transfer the keepers to the NAS and be ready for the next project.

If your shooting schedule doesn't allow time for the above between every shoot; you need two mobile platforms (identically setup). Or; external storage which is not ideal, on-site (theft/forgetfulness/drops/etc.).

4TB SSD's do not have the performance (vs. 2TB options) to power my mobile platforms, yet.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a 5-bay Synology NAS (someone had the box lying around which he gave me, I populated it with 10TB drives).

I keep a full set of my photos on my laptop, on my server, on my NAS, and on two sets of backup 5TB's, one of which I keep at home and one at work. The photos currently fit on a 2TB 2.5" spinner and a 3.84TB SSD; I have a 2TB system NVMe (Linux, home directory) and the original .5TB Windows install (which I only boot to update it and reflash the BIOS). I'm considering replacing that with another 2TB NVMe with 250GB or so allocated to Windows and the rest to another overflow ext4fs filesystem (maybe for more room for VMs and such). And no, I don't want to rely on external storage.

A factor of 2 storage will last me until the next factor of 2 comes along. But having only one 2.5" bay would likely be problematic unless 15TB 2.5"x7mm drives come out fairly soon.

I'm definitely a digital (and otherwise) pack rat.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that by the time 16TB+ 2.5" drives are generally available, the mobile platforms we will want to use them on won't support 2.5" drives... :p

But for now, it looks like you have your data as safe as it can reasonably be. ;)

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    By then everything mobile will probably all be soldered storage garbage that only the lowest common denominators will be willing to tolerate.