Why have we hit a wall with 2TB Capacity NVMe SSDs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Spartan, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I used to think that 2TB is the most we can get for NVMe m.2 SSDs (at least for a while) when the average capacity seems to be 512GB to 1TB for most laptops sold but Samsung for example hasn't gone beyond 2TB for consumer based m.2 SSDs.

When ordering my MacBook Pro I was shocked to see they offer 4TB and even 8TB SSDs now! When I went into the system specs of my MacBook Pro it says the SSD is an Apple SSD. What is Apple now manufacturing SSDs and how come we've hit a wall at 2TB for other major brands?

@tilleroftheearth

Here is my Apple 4TB SSD Benchmark:

MacBook Pro 16 4TB SSD Benchmark.jpg

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im more irritated that we havent gotten more than 2TB for 9.5mm drives.

Vasudev, triturbo, Casowen and 2 others like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those are the forgotten elephant. I don't think any manufacturer is interested in investing in creating more than 2TB for HDD 9.5mm

It's a shame we're still stuck at 4TB for 2.5" SSDs (at least for consumer level affordable ones not the enterprise models which cost an arm and a leg)

hmscott likes this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I've mostly gotten around it, but was a huge pain at the time.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    apple doesn't make ssd though. even the chip/controller for their SSD might not be made by them. just they get the controller and flash and either do a custom pcb or solder onto main board and ask whoever provide them the controller for a custom firmware for power efficiency.

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple, for one, doesn't use M.2. Even the older one's used proprietary NVME sockets, allowing for (in theory) more than 2TB of NAND chips. The older socketed NVME were custom samsung controllers, the new ones use the T1/T2 controllers on the mainboard. Current MBP's just simply have more room for more chips. Current M.2. top out at 4TB as far as I've seen, can't go higher simply because of NAND density. Current 2.5 drives top out at 2TB (for standard size) because of platter density, SSD's at 7.68TB.

Vasudev, triturbo, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    they could make 15 TB 2.5" SSD easily though but they aren't doing it cause no one wants that size with SATA speed. m.2 standard for consumer SSD would be 2280 meaning 22 * 80mm. samsung made a 30 * 110mm which is only a bit bigger can go up to 15 TB, too bad its 12v.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Some want exactly that - but 15TB would sadly be prohibitively expensive for most individual users with current pricing policies.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    TANWare, ole!!! and jaybee83 like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    15TB SSD at SATA speeds would be more than enough for many people. It would certainly beat out any and all HDD's on the market in regards to read/write, however, I do agree that with current pricing policies, those would be priced to ridiculous levels (far beyond what the regular consumer can afford - even though we both know they could easily price to more than affordable levels).

Vasudev, TANWare and Starlight5 like this.