Why dont other manufactures use intel desktop cpu?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Judas5h, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judas5h

Judas5h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey im seeing some crazy big laptops with amazing cooling systems from msi, acer...probably superior to clevos cooling and well capable of handling more than a 7700hq/7820hk. So why dont they? Why is clevo the only one?

2. Judas5h

Reputations:
    Many people would be happy to pay more. I think its a niche market because of limited availability and popularity. Clevo as a company is not close to as popular as asus/msi/acer... and is not available at most retailers or advertised as much. I think if these big companies started producing intel desktop cpu laptops they would be a great hit. For example the only amd ryzen desktop cpu laptop i know of the asus 702zc flew off the shelves at bestbuy and sold out for a while now.

3. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    The market might disagree. Last year and this year, laptop sales figures appear to show average purchase prices well below $1,000, with the $300 and under range rising 19% last year, and over $300 dropping in sales around the same percentage.

But it comes down to priorities. iPhone unit sales rose slightly, and look at how much the iPhone X costed.

bennyg and Vasudev like this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because enthusiast laptops are a subset of a subset of the market. Walk into HP, Dell, or Lenovo with a business case for what you're describing, and you'd be laughed out of the room.

5. Judas5h

Reputations:
    Your right that laptop could have been better especially gpu wise but just the fact it had that cpu i think what made it sell so well. Was also interested in it but happy went clevo/coffee lake instead. Better gpu and imo cpu

6. Judas5h

Reputations:
    Nothing stopped say msi creating titan or acer the predator. Those are for sure enthusiest laptops and dont see reason why they didnt include desktop cpus in them, which im sure would habe helped their sales as well

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    I agree, the Titan and the Predator would have been good candidates for an LGA CPU. It's an engineering challenge, but would've been very cool!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Judas5h likes this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And the GX800 as well, but Asus joined MSI and Acer in woosing out.

Ultimately its very similar silicon making up the LGA and BGA CPUs but when you're talking the top of the high end halo products, the extra binning and OC potential of the desktop chips hurts leaving the P870 out on its own. OC a BGA 6820HK or 7820HK to the max and if lucky it'll be able to hit 6700K/7700K stock clocks...

Interesting to hear reports of good sales on the AMD Asus. It is a compelling value for CPU performance proposition (at least until we see what the "mobile i9" can do vs stock un-overclockable R7-1700)

Judas5h and saturnotaku like this.
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's very encouraging indeed. The Asus has had some teething problems, but hopefully sales success means that the company will dedicate itself to sorting everything out in a timely manner.

10. Judas5h

Reputations:
    Right, i think that models success is a sign that they and more should start adding desktop cpus to laptops and it should be less underground, which will also help the technology evolve. I until recently and all my friends never heard of clevo or its resellers and didnt know a desktop cpu in a laptop even existed until i told them about mine.

11. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Extra development costs and market sizes really.