Why does my folder(s) take so long to load…

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Token CDN, May 7, 2018.

1. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hoping you guys can help me with this issue I've been having for a while now - it's the reason I jumped early on "updating" to RS4, which hasn't helped

As the title says, certain folders (Downloads being one of the worst) will taking a long time to load their contents. I double click and then sit waiting for ~5 sec. looking at a "working on it" message before the contents ever show up.
    My Google searches have led me to try the usual fixes (changing folder optimization to "General", clear the Quick Access db) and nothing has worked so far - on the Quick Access front, I don't even have anything pinned to QA since I never use it.
    I've followed Phoenix's clean install guide so Defender (and the rest of the MS nannyware) should be a non-issue. Tried disabling search indexing, no joy.
    I'm currently using Avast Free AV with everything disabled (aside for the File Shield), but my previous install was using Panda free with the same problems

I'm not ever sure where to look next so I hope you guys can offer some advice

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like a combination of a bloated or low-powered machine, your AV, slow ish disk access/speeds (slow or full drives can act like this, especially with tons of files in a single folder), possible driver issues or conflicts.

But typically, context menu additions are an issue alongside Intel integrated GPU driver related options.

Need more specs on your machine and current windows installation to really take this further.

What CPU, storage disks, make/model, GPU(s), how many processes and threads do you have on a fresh boot, when is the last time you did a clean install, have you tried temporarily uninstalling your AV completely, etc.

I will update this post with some helpful links soon if I can find them.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-details-pics-of-internals-optimizing.811380/

Check out:

Eb2a
    Eb2b
    Ea4
    Dd5
    Dd6

The right click lag and explorer opening time lag are somewhat related, they were annoying me on my machine. Try disabling the Intel integrated graphics context menus first and see if it improves at all. Iirc mine improved by doing that, but not 100%... I did some other tweaks and mods that helped further. Disabling unnecessary Windows services can help too.

Have you tried using LatencyMon to determine if you have any craptastic drivers introducing unnecessary delays and lag?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. Token CDN

Reputations:
    I wouldn't think that the issue would be related to slow hardware (Acer NitroBE, 2.something Ghz 6700. 8GB RAM.). Even though the HDD is only 5400RPM ((Seagate), I doubt that'd be the problem since I've only really noticed the slow down in the past few months. The HDD was only a quarter to third full and the slow folders typically wouldn't have any more than a dozen or so files (eg. an albums worth of FLACs, plus artwork, liner notes).
    I don't think the drive itself is failing - I haven't had any other issues with it, but I also haven't ran any tests.
    I was wondering about all the piled on bloat the MS keeps adding to its updates (auto-maintenance, etc) but I've tried to disable as much as possible.
    My last clean install was a week or so ago, but since RS4 is such a clusterf*** right now, I'm trying out some different versions to see if they're any better. This time around I also wiped and formatted the HDD just to be safe (BTW, my OS lives on a SSD, but because its only 128GB I keep Docs/Pics/Vids/Downloads folders on the HD)

4. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Ok so the 5400 rpm drive it's going to be a major pain point, especially with your OS on SSD and an antivirus program constantly scanning your folders as you try to access them and such.

I would start by uninstalling your AV completely to eliminate that as a factor while troubleshooting this.

Next I would run some disk diagnostics on your HDD to get an idea of where in its lifespan it is. It sounds like it could possibly be starting to fail but diagnostics and its age
    Would tell you more on that.

2GHz CPU and 8GB RAM can be borderline if your machine is bloated or not very lean (especially with AV). What's your RAM usage and process/thread count on a clean boot? How many auto-start programs do you have? Also what drive is your page file set to use?

Did you try disabling the Intel contact menu entries that are known to create lag in the O/S?

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Disable System protection aka System restore permanently and see if it helps.
    System restore takes huge IO and slows down everything. After disabling it, everything is fine!

Maleko48 likes this.
  6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    That makes a lot of sense too! I never use system restore and always disable it.

7. Token CDN

Reputations:
    The drive response time has been good (or at least what I'd expect) until recently. I'll throw Seatools (or if you have any other diagnostic tool to recommend) at it sometime in the next day or two and give it a full checkup.

Same issue has occurred with two different AV (Panda previously, Avast currently)

My god man! I don't have nearly enough fingers and toes to count how many processes are running under Win 10;). I do follow Phoenix's clean install guide so it should hopefully be the minimum. Auto-start programs are maybe 5-6. Pagefile is on the SSD.
    (For kicks, I'm currently trying out LTSB so most of the stats I'm giving are based off memory of the old bloated Home install)

Like Phoenix, I've never had system restore do anything useful so it's never been enabled

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah throw in Seatools or Victoria HDD or Hard disk Sentinel to check your disk health.

9. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Here is my machine at mostly idle and not even on a fresh boot for your reference. On a clean fresh boot when I am about to game (which means I close a few extra things) I idle at like 1-2% CPU and less than 130 processes.

ProcessThreadsHandles_Reference.jpg

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think I cut down some process down to 80 or 90. So on idle my CPU consumes 0.5W acc. to TS.

c69k and Maleko48 like this.