Why does Dell set the BIOS to RAID always?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Spartan, Feb 20, 2020.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you purchase it from the outlet? If so the previous owner probably set it to that and Dell just rolled with it. For fun, you could always try loading bios defaults to see what it sets it back to, most likely RAID. RAID mode doesn't mean you're actually running a RAID, just the operating mode. I've had numerous Dell laptops with PM961 and PM951s configured in RAID mode (including my 7577), it doesn't have anything to do with the drive they install.

Clintlgm likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That was my first thought too as it was from Outlet, but Bios defaults also were AHCI. I just don’t use RST due to DPC issues some laptops had like 5-6 years ago, maybe it’s different now but I like to keep things simple so I stick to MS default storenvme.

custom90gt likes this.
  3. Clintlgm

Clintlgm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you do any large Data transfers you will see quite a difference between SATA and NVME Especially with top-end SSD's
    Spartans Benchmark looks very slow for NVME M.2 4 lane mine gets 3500/3000 Dell Inspiron 7386 Samsung 1TB 970 Evo. Even my G752VY with Samsung 512GB 960 Pro m.2 NVME 4 lane get 2900/2500. I can move 100GB batch files in just a couple of minutes from the computer to USB NVME external case. Very fast transfers Full version movies in seconds. Not all m.2 SSD are equal and SATA is limited to 500 GBs or so by the controller.
    With all this said everyday use for the average user, it's hard to tell the difference between a 500GBs SATA SSD and 3500GBs NVME SSD, its when you actually use the full power that you see the difference.

This is all a miracle to me I remember it taking overnight or longer to Render a Cad drawing after making changes. The same drawing now happen in seconds.

I agree with my Asus G752VY that came with a 256GB 961 or 951 running in RAID mode. The first thing I did was drop in the 512GB 850 Pro I stayed in RAID mode for a year or so. Then switch to AHCI just to see if there was any difference. I did not notice any difference at all. My Dell is still in RAID mode

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
    Spartan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Don't compare SK hynix PC400 512 GB with the better NVMe models. Its a cheap drive with not the best specs. And it perform really bad in many notebooks.
    upload_2020-3-19_1-0-22.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  5. Clintlgm

Clintlgm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't think I did, I was pointing out that his SSD was very slow for NVME. I'm quite aware of Hynix 512gB as my Dell came with on it now a D: in my Insprion with a 970 as C:-F:-G: Don't ask about why I have so many partitions I use them for business