Why do they put turn signals on cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by ViciousXUSMC, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I hear you, the one and only accident I have been in was when I was STOPPED at a red light (not just stopped, like had been there for 45 seconds) and a lady driving this big ol' Honda SUV rear ended me at full speed (45mph) my head got jerked back so hard that I broke out my rear windshield with my head and it was sitting on the very back of my truck bed (standard cab S10). She told the cop she did not see me because she sneezed. In reality I saw her coming in my rear view and kinda braced for impact when I noticed she was not slowing down.

What was she doing? Putting on her makeup of course.

I should have gone to the hospital to check for injuries but I felt fine so I did not, 5 or so years later I have a really bad back problem and I think that accident is what caused it.

Unfortunately thats the reality of those kind of accidents that injuries do not creep up till later in life when your older. I should have sued her blind lol it was a brand new SUV and she was in expensive business cloths, but I am not that kind of guy and relaly do not like court/lawyers/legal system.

2. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Agreed, I would not be surprised if Ray Charles had a CDL.

Drivers Education should be required and so should an actual test when you renew your license (written and driving) plus law enformcent just needs to enforce some of the law a bit more.

I see people doing illegal lane changes, running red lights and other stuff like that daily always putting somebody at risk for an accident.

Since I am a biker too (admitting not gone ridding in forever) as much as people break the car to car laws, dont even get me started on the bike laws. Nobody even knows them in the first place to follow them.

3. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Parents of children should all be sued for the way they drive around schools. It is NOT ok to stop in the middle of the street to let you child out of the car when there are about 30 cars behind you, nor is it ok to pull a U turn in the middle of traffic. There was a cop near the middle school I live by, and it made my day with the sheer number of tickets he was giving out for retarded driving.

Random side Note: They opened a new lane on the freeway I take going to school. It's 88F. Im sitting there with all my windows open and blasting Margaritaville. The road is brand new asphalt and there are no cars in front of me. What am i to do in this situation? See how fast I can go, of course! (Silly Limiter Kicks in at 122mph.... bah). And this is a relatively straight freeway to, and since it is on the border of LA county and Ventura county, CHP presence is almost nil. v6 FTW

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    NICE!

When I had my Hemi 4x4 Dodge RAM, I just wanted to go balls out and see how fast I could get it. Stupid Michigan. No place to do that.

5. TeeJay 44

TeeJay 44 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I live in South Africa. Enough said.

Here, the rules of the road are merely a guideline.

For example: It is internationally accepted that a red traffic light means stop.
    Here, it means slow down if you feel like it and proceed if no other vehicles are in your way.

God help us.

Over and out.

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well you can always come to North America or Europe. Here traffic laws are followed by most people most of the time and our leaders get burned if they do something incredibly stupid. ;)

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree with the majority of posters in this thread - drivers are idiots.
    I'm right across the bridge in PA . . . this is the most 'true' statement I read all day.

I make religious use of my car's horn; when people do dangerous stuff, like no turn signals, going too fast, and going through red lights, I use it in the hope that they'll realize they did something wrong. That's probably a false hope though . . .

8. Brian10161

Brian10161 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been driving a service truck for about 8 or 9 months now here in Toronto Ontario, and I gotta say the number of bad drivers here is just unbearable.

I'm only 19, but in the 9 months I have been working I have driver over 20,000KM for work now. I'm an HVAC apprentice, so my job requires a lot of driving to get to different job sites. Driving in the GTA sucks.

People don't use signals, cut you off, have dead brake lights (That ones fun on the Gardiner), drive too slow, drive too fast, and generally just don't have any respect for other drivers and themselves (You can tell this by the condition of their vehicle usually. Massive door dings, scratches, and general marks on the vehicle).

I wouldn't say I am a great driver (I'm only 19, so limited experience in different weather conditions and traffic conditions.) but I can honestly say I am one of the better drivers on the road. No accidents at all to this point *knock on wood* and I am driving a service vehicle. I drive by my mirrors as I have no rear windows at all. It's an Astro Cargo van, with a windshield and 2 side windows.

I can honestly say, people have no respect for service guys who drive vans. Backing out of a parking spot, people just zoom behind you and you have to be so cautious. I back my truck in wherever I can now because of it. Driving on the highway, people don't like to be behind you, so they speed up and get in front of you, but then they slow down below the limit or flow of traffic.

People need to realize that we are people too and need some space on the road in these vans. Especially full size vans, those are a pain to drive around here because theres just so little space for it. I get claustrophobic.

So just keep it in mind, when you see a service van and get irritated because maybe they aren't going as fast as you want them to be, just think. They probably don't know the area as well as those of you who drive the same route each day. My days change from day to day, I can be downtown Toronto one day, in Bowmanville the next, and in Kitchener a day later. I, on average, travel 200km a day. And I'm only an apprentice, not a mechanic getting service calls all over the place.

Be a courteous driver to everyone, and maybe traffic jams wouldn't be so bad.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
    In Massachusetts, using turn signals is looked upon as giving information to the enemy.

There are a lot of things I miss about Massachusetts, but driving isn't one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.