Why do they put turn signals on cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by ViciousXUSMC, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I completely agree. Sometimes I get those red turn signals confused with the brake light with one of them broke, or the other way.

2. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    I think this is all a symptom of people who do other @$#% while driving. If you are the driver, pay attention to the road, follow the rules, and drive. If you want to make phone calls, listen to the radio (or worse, your iPod with headphones on...I've seen this often) or eat a full meal, DO NOT DRIVE. Do your other stuff OFF THE ROAD. If the traffic is too fast for you, DO NOT DRIVE ON THAT ROAD.

Sorry, I never resort to all caps. But bad drivers annoy me. I own a small sports car, and I drive much like a motorcyclist (always looking for an escape route, reading the road around me, and watching traffic closely) because (1) I like to drive when I have an open road, or even when I am in the city and the other drivers around me are following the rules of the road and (2) there are far too many idiots in oversize vehicles that are not paying attention to the road. It's not big vehicles that annoy me...most professional truck drivers are very good at what they do, and will respect other drivers if you respect them. It's the young driver in an SUV or the family trying to do everything except drive that makes the road dangerous for everyone.

Sorry, rant over. Please go back to your normal chatter.

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    One of the reasons why I dont really care for driving is because of all the other stupid drivers. Heck one time when I was getting my in car 2 hour thing I was passing cars in a car that said "student driver".

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Vicious, problem is that pretty much anyone can get a license. There's very little training, and absolutely no follow up on a regular basis to test your knowledge or skills.

I consider myself a safe and skilled driver. Especially after having kids, I'm more aware than ever. But everyone else on the road is an ().

I always thought there should be an elite driving school that anyone can take and if you pass with flying colors, you get to be a civilian "traffic cop". So if you witness something stupid, you get the ability to issue a ticket.

Aside from using traffic signals, the other thing that burns me is construction. First of all, as they say in Michigan (and I'm sure lots of other states too) there's two seasons: Winter and Construction.

Despite all the construction, it is frequently well marked, and gives you over a two mile warning when a lane or lanes are closed off. But so many people think they have the right to zoom to the merge point and force their way in, and flip you off if they can't get in. It makes me wonder if these same people cut in line anywhere else they go. These people I wish I had a gun or something to blow out their tires so they're stuck for an extended period for being so selfish an stupid.

5. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    what pisses me off is ppl who float along at the exact speed limit in the PASSING LANE, ughh makes me so mad, holds up traffic and causes more problems then it solves.

6. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    lol i hate it as well vicious i hate it so bad.....:(

7. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    I pretty much follow every law except the speed limit... Never been in a accident (well, I have been in one. But I dont count it as an accident since I was parked at the time at a red light, and a car decided to merge with my front left wheel from the middle lane.), and have only gotten a single ticket (Which was totally my fault. I forgot about a speed-trap on my way to school, and didn't slow down enough going down a hill.) And I do drive an SUV... There can only be one... highlander!

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Patrick, I agree with you, except your comment on the Highlander (but I digress). :)

I think if you have skilled drivers (and reasonable road surface) speed is not an issue. It's several things:

(1) Idiot drivers as ViciousXUSMC mentioned.
    (2) Inexperience
    (3) Not paying attention
    (4) Substance abuse
    (5) Tired/Exhaustion
    (6) Lack of understanding how their vehicle handles in all weather conditions and situations.

It's funny. I'm in an argument at the Valve forums about EULA's. It seems it takes more time, energy, and understanding just to actually read and understand a EULA to PLAY A VIDEO GAME, than it does for someone to legally own and drive a car.

9. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    About the Highlander, My counter arguement:

Free Cars are Free!

10. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    Not to harp on my point, but somewhere on your list you need to add "driving distracted" which is the leading cause of accidents, including cell phone use, eating, reading, grooming, talking with your hands,or anything else that takes your attention away from the road. Like most of you, the speed limit is the one law I bend, depending on road conditions and traffic. It drives my wife mad, but 5-10 MPH over on the freeway is no big deal under normal conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.