Why do they put turn signals on cars?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by ViciousXUSMC, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Because nobody uses them!

I have very few off-topic posts but I have been needing to vent this one for a while. Every single day without fail I am victim to somebody not using a turn signal in one way or another.

Thing is that there is no reason for it, its all of 7" away from your hand on the wheel and takes 1/2" to do. If somebody wants to be lazy thats there problem but not using a turn signal on the road is illegal and possibly dangerous so you make it the problem of everybody you are around.

Annoying things:

- Stopped at an intersection car is comming through and instead of being the () that pulls out infront of full speed traffic and make them slow down you wait for them to pass, but intead of passing they end up turning with no signal. So you wasted like 20 seconds of your life and held up traffic behind you for no reason.

- Your behind somebody and all of a sudden for no reason at all they stop... then make a turn. Possibly dangerous you could hit them if your reflexes are bad or you were following too close but its usually just really annoying, and if its on a multi lane street and they had been doing what they are supposed to and use a signal you could have had time to change lanes and not have to slow down. Accelerating is the main use of gas, and slowing down is obviously what wears your brakes. So annoying and wear to your car for no reason.

Dangerous Things

- Your following traffic and have an actual safe follow distance between you and the car infront of you, some guy in the lane over cuts you off with no signal and then puts you in an unsafe following distance and usually ends up hitting the brakes because he is too close to the car infront of him or moving too fast. using a signal atleast you could have prepared for his merge and created a safe distance.

- Your needing to do a lane change so you turn your signal on and wait 2 seconds enough time for everybody to see and you start to merge, then the car in the lane opposite goes into the lane with no signal and no delay potentially ramming right into you if you do not swerve out of the way.

I mean I can make this list go on and on. Do these people that do not do this understand how important it is? Do they not get upset when people do the same things to them?

Owning a car and going for a cruse used to be an american dream but now I absolutely dread every time I have to drive somewhere due to all these bad drivers. It just so happens the turn signal thing is my biggest annoyance since its the most simple to fix and there is just no reason for not doing it.

2. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    at the risk of sounding like an ()

take the bus.... :D

but i agree with you none the less. but you just cant change how everyone does thier own thing.
    i am sure there have been times you have not utilized the signal as well...

3. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    No, I always do even when nobody is around because the one time you think there is nobody around is when the cop is camping on the side of the road and gives you a ticket, or somebody just pulled out that you did not see and you hit them, when signaling first would have maybe saved sombodies life.

I am not some grandma driver, I have my motorcycle license and used to be the guy that everybody would depend on to drive us back to base @ 110mph when we were gonna be late for the end of weekend liberty.

4. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That sounds like new york city. :D I almost witness an accident yesterday, some kid with a crappy ride rushed out the park lot without stopping (and he were doing like 15 mph no joking), if the other driver on the street wasn't braking fast enough, both cars would have been stuck into one piece already. Of course, the kid just sneaked away without an apology. Even I felt mad at that moment.

5. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    i shall treat this as true then, but i hold reservations as to the complete honesty.
    second, i have been thru this as well as i am sure the vast majority that drive/ride have too.
    it is nothing that can be resolved from your side. so i understand your venting...at least you are not out there beating people senseless (even though i am sure you would love to)

second....i hate people that drive 110mph just to get somewhere because they could not plan right and chose to leave at the last minute to return to base.... :D

6. FoxTrot1337

FoxTrot1337 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You sound like my dad, he's always complaining about idiot drivers who shouldn't be on the road.

7. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    and driving 110mph to get back to base at end of weekend liberty because they were not bright enough to pre-plan and leave earlier is above a person that does not use the turn signal?
    sounds like your crying wolf.... :)

8. ViciousXUSMC

Reputations:
    Yeah no stopping at stop signs or failure to yield to right of way is gotta be like #2 or 3 on my list.

Incredibly annoying when your the only car on the road going full speed and somebody pulls out right infront of you without stopping (usually a slow & go is what we call it) then you have to mash your brakes and slow down to half speed, if the car that pulled out infront of you had waited ONLY 2 seconds you would have passed and then they could have pulled out with nobody on the road.

Traffic is so bad here on my trip home 2 out of 5 days a week when I get off work there is a delay getting home due to an accident.

9. ryujin

ryujin 2B or not 2B

Reputations:
    sorry about all the multiple posts...dunno what happened...im deleting now.

10. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just did the same on another thread. :D Darn 404 error.

ViciousXUSMC I made a typoo, I meant the kid sneaked away with full acceleration and without an apology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.