why do they force expensive machines on us?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by justsomeguy, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a new laptop.. but jeez I'm not going to be analyzing global weather trends for pete's sake.
    I'm looking for something from 500mhz-1ghz, which is light and small with a fair amount of battery life, not much ram (128-256mb should do the trick), small screens are good (something like an ibook), and I would rather not have to pay for an OEM version of Windows XP (I'll probably be using FreeBSD.). Also I like is to look good, iBook and Compaq Presario looks appeal to me in this case.. Cheap is nice too. [;)]
    For some reason all I can find are 1.8ghz 17" 512mb ram huge ones which have loads of power I don't need and definently don't want to pay for.

Thanks for any advice I know you must get these questions a lot but if I ask a salesmen I'll end up buying a TX-20.

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    It costs more to make those slower processors you suggested than many of the newer ones. Anyway, look at something like Averatec for nice machines at a good value. You can get the thin and light 3200 series for under $1000.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Macmac

Macmac Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay, I'll bite. The reasons are that they know they know that there are some that do not have BMWs, don't have the prettiest girl on their arms, nor the mansions or a great looking physique or face - that is me. BUT, when I whip out my 3 grand plus Mac or at one time my T42P with Flexview screen - at that moment- I am the man.

I have to relive that moment by going to different cafes. Even went through the airport security to show what I had...really sad.

My choices and please remember, I am no expert but only know what I put my money down for. Dell Inspiron 700M. Since purchase from Aug2004 and kept on at least 14 hours a day - no problems that could not be solved via Dell support or the Dell forum on this site. Basic model is under $2000. It runs Windows Xp Home, on 1.6MHz, Pentium M. 30HD. Only a 12" display that I like. See review by Abaxter on Dell forum. The other choice - Apple's 1.2GHz iBook. Have never had major problems with Apple. My mainstay until maybe this new OS system on Maui breeds a new hybrid computer that forever erases Macs and Windows...do a search for Maui Mac system causes waves...
    Sorry for the long post. Dell also has a refurbished section on laptops. 600m and other Latitudes are going low with standard warranties. But others will probably give better, in-depth answers. I asked your type of questions and found the answer via this site. Dell just introduced the 700M and the heads-up was annouced here first!

Good luck on your search!
    macmac

4. notebooktech

notebooktech Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would look at the jetbook 9450 for your needs it is 14.1 in- 2.8 pent4 -256 ram- cdrw/dvd drive- 20 gig hard drive - no operating system. can be found for around $900.00

Owner / Partner http://www.mtwolfcomputers.com
    Jetbook 9090A: 2.4 P4: 40 Gig 5400 rpm: 512 MB :

5. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WalMart.com has a usable laptop for $598.

First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

6. highlandsun

highlandsun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mmm, not quite. The ECS A535 that Wal-Mart is selling for $598 gets about 40 minutes of battery life. With the extended battery it gets 80 minutes.

Aside from that, it probably fits the bill. That's what happens when you cram cheap desktop components into a notebook-sized case - it costs less, but it's really a small desktop computer with a UPS, not a portable computer.

old: Sony PCG-GR300P 1.13GHz PIII-M, 512MB
    new: Asus M6Ne 2.00GHz P-M, 2GB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.