Why do people recommend MBAM over SAS?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Kaspersky666, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Which is your favorite spyware/trojan scanner besides your Antivirus that you run?

1. SUPERAntiSpyware Pro

10.0%
  2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

70.0%
  3. Spybot S & D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ad-Aware

5.0%
  5. Emsisoft Anti-Malware

5.0%
  6. Other, please mention in the thread

10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually, MSE has only 1 false positive (same as Panda) whereas Avira has a lot more (close to 10 if I'm not mistaken).
    Ever since I started using MSE (since it first came out), I can say that I had 0 issues in terms of infections or malware.
    I will agree it's a bit heavier on the RAM side (55MB with both of it's processes - though to be honest that's practically nothing) compared to Avira, but even when it's doing the scans it doesn't impact my system at all.

As for Avast... I could be wrong, but I think I noticed it became a bit more of a resource hog recently.
    Well, not so much as in RAM consumption as much as the installation size itself.

And AVG... oh it's detection rate may have been improved slightly but it's still a resource hog - I wouldn't use it.

As for why people recommend MBAM more than SAS...
    I would surmise that MBAM is more than enough as an on-demand scanner.
    SAS has a tendency to remove 'tracking cookies'. Those are hardly harmful to be honest and cookies as such can be removed manually either way, so I don't see a problem.
    Comparing both though, they seem to be pretty much equal, with 'popularity' (and image-wise) going more to MBAM.

2. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    Firefox is laggy. Chrome FTW :)

If anything, Firefox is getting worse as of late. It's accelerated release schedule is a PITA and it keeps crashing while playing Youtube videos while running the same version of the Flash plugin as Chrome and IE, yet the other two never crashed. Wonder why :rolleyes:

3. Cylphid

Cylphid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Long time FF user and agreed it's been getting much worse lately.

OT I've been giving Norton 360 a good trial run lately (free from ISP) and can say they've come quite a long way. Unobtrusive and low resource usage.

Like MSE quite a bit and had been using that since release. Common sense is still the best defense, if only it would stop those harmful tracking cookies....:eek:

4. ray4jc

ray4jc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i use mbam the most nowadays in a past life i would have went with spybot and spywareblaster but i like mbam now i also use MSE

i would point out i've purchased mbam pro because it usually keeps me from going places i shouldn't although occasionaly i have to disable it to venture out into the unknowns of the internet

5. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    I use Emsisoft AntiMalware/EAM and MBAM (both paid versions) on one config.
    Don't understand why EAM is in the poll as an additional program though.
    Current EAM is meant to be used as a protection layer just like Avast, Avira or MSE AV.

Those programs are only called AV's because that's the naming convention most folks are used to but they all protect against different malware also; trojans, worms, rootkits etc, all these programs ought to be called AM's instead of AV's imo.
    So, first vote for EAM even if it isn't run besides an AV in my case.

6. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mse+mbam+sas

7. Fairdy67

Fairdy67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what does this have to do with the question in the thread?

The OP did not ask what you are using? He asked why do people prefer MBAM over SAS :rolleyes:

8. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Two cents? You got to be kidding. The uneducated nonsense you wrote is worthless.

I'm sure you read that on the internets... :rolleyes:

Oh really? And, "was", you said? I thought we are interested in what is. Well, in any case, I happen to not know that IE9 is "crappy". Somehow it serves me just fine.

I don't need Ad-Block Plus, "FTW"... :rolleyes:

"Blindfolds", eh? Kid, I'll tell you a secret: Some of us have been using FFx when you were apparently still in diapers, at least from the looks of your posts. I did, for quite a while, until I had enough of the bloat, and realized that I didn't really need all those funny little toys you can load up FFx with. Turns out that IE9 does everything I need my browser to do, faster than and at least as secure as any of the competition. Case closed, for me.

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's one way of seeing it, why not use both as on demand scanners, there's nothing preventing you from doing that ;)

10. harrypoker

harrypoker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you joking? MSE? Avast + + SAS + mbam maybe, no case MSE. MSE protection is too weak ~ 25% while Avast, Avira has more than 98%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.