Why do people recommend MBAM over SAS?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Kaspersky666, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Which is your favorite spyware/trojan scanner besides your Antivirus that you run?

1. SUPERAntiSpyware Pro

10.0%
  2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

70.0%
  3. Spybot S & D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ad-Aware

5.0%
  5. Emsisoft Anti-Malware

5.0%
  6. Other, please mention in the thread

10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaspersky666

Kaspersky666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't get it? I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 so I know I am protected against viruses. Occasionally, I run SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and it always picks up about 10-20 harmful/tracking cookies then prompts me to remove them and reboot (don't know why the heck does it need to reboot to remove cookies but oh well )

Now in all the times that I have used Malwarebytes AntiMalware, it has NEVER EVER caught anything. So I run SAS most of the time.

People tell me to use both but I think that's just overkill and a waste of time since MBAM never catches anything and ignored the harmful cookies.

So why do 80% of the people I know online and the forums that I visit, always recommend MBAM as the program of choice next to your Antivirus for removing Malware? :rolleyes:

It's either some people are blind to see that SAS goes the extra mile to remove the harmful cookies or I am missing something here :rolleyes:

Please explain to teh meh :rolleyes: :confused:

2. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe because it's called AntiMalware and tracking cookies aren't malware?

Voted "Other" on the poll because there's no "None" option. Though if Microsoft's monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool counts, then I guess that's my favourite.

3. Kaspersky666

Reputations:
    I've always installed that through Windows Update and it has never found anything.

Windows Defender + Malicious Software Removal Tool + anything Microsoft comes up software-wise (other than the OS) is useless crap

just my 2 cents

Windows Media Player
    Internet Explorer
    Windows Defender

are just a few to name

4. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So you'd be happier if it constantly found malware on your computer? That's an... interesting attitude. Most people would be happy to know that their systems are clean (at least of the malware types MSRT scans for).

Right, I forgot about Windows Defender. If I didn't already use MSE (which supersedes Windows Defender), that'd probably get my vote for favourite anti-malware program.

5. Kaspersky666

Reputations:
    Windows Defender seriously, that worst anti-malware program in the world! Never found a single thing wherewas SAS found some programs I had like utilities that are supposed to extrat passwords such as Wireless Network passwords which contained a trojan :rolleyes:

6. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I better not tell you then that I use IE9, seeing how you've labelled it as "useless crap".

Anyway, perhaps you were misled by my use of the word "favourite", as it might imply a similar belief in using many different security programs that you display, whereas I actually prefer the combination of a single anti-virus/anti-malware program and a secure browser and view the using of supplementary programs like SAS or MBAM as a waste of time (though I suppose they can come in handy if one is a frequent visitor of, say, torrent or "adult entertainment" sites). The only reason I'd use (and have used) Windows Defender in addition to an anti-virus is that it's included in modern versions of Windows.

7. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am quite happy just using AVG for my main anti virus. My on demand preference would vary between MBAM, SAS, and Spybot.
    What usually happens if strange problems do occur is, I will unleash my 'Security Toolbox', which consists of: MBAM, SAS, Spybot, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster and an occasional updated Webroot. I never have to run all of these of course, but there was a time when I ended up with a major virus that stopped all my internet connections and antivirus from working, so I tried a couple of these progs and they all found somthing different, to the extent that I could connect to the net and update my main antivirus,as well as all the rest. I updated and ran them all and in total they found 83 trojans,keyloggers,worms etc... I know I could have taken the easy way out and reinstalled but I'm the type of guy that likes to muck about and get to the route of the problem. (the problem on this occasion.........me being a moron!!!)
    Since then I've never had any other infection as I am a lot wiser now, although I will always keep my 'Security Toolbox' incase of any emergancies.

Cheers,

Perrin.

8. Kaspersky666

Reputations:
    83 trojans, keyloggers,worms, etc? That's what you get when you use crappy antivirus such as MSE or AVG mate. No offense, but if you didn't want to pay for an Antivirus, then the best one out there is Avira Antivir FTW, it has low false positives, light on the system, and actually does an outstanding job protecting you for a free antivirus. It uses the Kaspersky Scanning Engine so I've heard (minus a few things offcourse since it's free)

IE?? Seriously? No ad-block plus, the most vulnerable browser......and.....this....

;)

9. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was using Avast at that time but changed to AVG a couple of months ago when the AV comparitive tests came out. And now it reminds me of how much I hated AVG in the first place. But will again be changing back to Avast I think ......in fact right now! AVG does hog quite a bit. Althoug to be fair, common sense does prevail when surfing, downloading etc.....

10. Kaspersky666

Reputations:
    Common sense is your first wall of defense, but try Avira Antivir this time. Avast is a bit of a resource hog and isn't that much better than AVG to be honest. MSE and Avira Antivir are the best in the Free Antivirus World but MSE has more false positives and is a bit heavier on the system! Especially while it is performing an update, you would barely be able to use your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.