Why do people install freakin' loud exhaust on their car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Roxy, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    The cops are pretty sneaky these days in OC, so no burn outs or quick launches for me (especially in the red talon with chrome wheels and very loud exhaust). I went in the lot and parked my car in between my dads 69 cutlass supreme and a family friends 68 ninety eight (both of which love and respect my car) and all I seemed to do was attract negative attention and comments. I'm also afraid to leave my hood popped due to vandalization and such during the show. I understand that there may be some tension, but being open to other ideas would be nice in return for the nice compliment and drool I did over their classics. I dont expect them to love or even like my car, but say "hey thanks for the compliment for my car! I hear those talons are pretty fast" or something close to that.

Its not like my talon looks ricey with body kits and door spoilers or fart can exhaust systems hooked up. Rather it looks like a mid 90's sports car that sounds more like a tractor/diesel then anything. Oh well Ill still be there both in may and october, but Im still 95% sure the jeep will be the may ride. If your going this year Ill have the talon down in october. May depends on how Im feeling to be honest as the car needs a new battery, alternator, brakes, tires, and the original 1996 (built in 1995) suspension needs to be replaced BADLY. So as of now Im trying to limit the miles on it for those reasons and the fact I dont have the money to rebuild the engine and driveline like it needs too.

2. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    you could go to the OC car and truck show - there are more imports there at that show who would give you more respect for your car.

the thing they don't like about the imports there is that there are too many ricer boys who come up with a sub 300 hp car and rev, tailgate, and try to show up the race cars there. but then at import shows you got the v8 hogs who bring a 900+ hp car and try to race sub 400 hps cars, so it's the same deal.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    yup, that's just how the streets are. alot of guys like to run their mouth instead of runnin what they brought. but all of that is apart of what makes the racing scene or any other competitive sport...well, competitive.

what we did back in the day was decide on a "secret" location whenever we wanna get together for a few nice runs. we wouldn't let anyone know of the location til that day of the meet. by doing it this way, we avoided alot of slow, annoying cars. it also made our meets alot safer due to the reduced crowd. there wasn't a buncha random, slow cars around us tryin to race us big boys. it was just all respect and good clean fun towards the guys next to u. oh how i miss ridin around the streets til the sun literally came up. *sigh*

@ liquidxt: me and liquid seem to agree on alot of things, so i'll go ahead and agree with him on his last few posts as well. it doesn't matter what brand, engine size, or history a car has. a fast car is a fast car. respect it or check it.

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    to a racer, a car is about speed. to a collector, a car is about value. to an enthusiast, the car is about the car.

it does matter what brand, engine size, and history of the car, to the right person. some don't care how fast you can run a 1/4 mile or your braking distance.

the problem with a fast car is a fast car is that there are always faster cars. an 11 second car is not fast to these cars with 1200+ hp. however, for a regular joe, bringing your 1/4 mile down to 11 seconds with a car doing 16+ seconds bone stock is significant.

for me, it depends on the car and the modifications. i'm more of a car to car person. i love V8's, i love american muscle, but over the last few years i have started to appreciate road vehicles and import performance / technology outside of the muscle car genre.

5. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Im not too much of an import crowd or car fan. I know my car is half import half domestic, to be perfectly honest the closest group I can align with is lostjeeps. Personally I come to the may and october because I have family and friends that come down and not because of a car club or the fact I get respect. Ill be fine in may with the jeep and in october I worry not anymore.

:D :D :D

6. xarthos

xarthos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I love my white 2008 Mustang GT/CS. I've got Borla Stingers on the back and its pretty much the most perfect thing ever to me.

Here is one that is almost exactly like mine:
    [​IMG]

7. revvo

revvo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A fast FWD car is still FWD. A fast rice is still rice. I better never see a riced Cobra Terminator, or I'll just point and laugh even with the loads of torque it has.

8. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    FWD and Front Wheel Drive are two different things
    FWD is a specialty heavy duty truck manufacturer :p

K-TRON

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    get that ignorance out of here.

10. 07torchgt

07torchgt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i agree, a fast car is a fast car is a fast car... but when you bring the underdog to the fight and whip up the big dogs I tend to get a huge grin on my face... my car looks innocent enough for the most part... and sounds it too, but when i wipe the track with the new vette that thought he was billy bad a** i can't help but laugh... same goes for the talon tsi awd... my second car and first fast car was a 91 talon tsi awd... i bought the 91 over the 94 at the time due to the 91's crank was stronger... my second was a a low 11 second prelude... i was called a ricer because i drove a honda... but it was clean, i didn't even have a spoiler...lol... it looked mostly stock except for under the hood...

for this reason i will never own a vette or anything of the like... i would rather show up and make people go,"hmmmmmm, did that really just happen?"

its a lot more fun to make something greater than it originally was

at that, people do what they want to their cars... some i respect and some i don't but to each his own...:D

i love a gt/cs by the way... nice ride

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.