Why do people install freakin' loud exhaust on their car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Roxy, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxy

Roxy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Um, I was just wondering...

My best friend owns a toyota mr2 turbo. He currently have a pretty loud sounding exhaust ( Apexi N1 ) and he just recently got another freakin' exhaust that is louder than the current one. ( I don't remember the name ). I seriously don't get it. What is so great about loud exhaust other than the fact that it's annoying ( at least to me ) and may increase some hp ( I think? ). He often made fun of honda civics with fart cans... and yet, he gets pretty annoying exhaust himself too. We live in southern california... and the police here are very strict about such things. He hates how he gets pulled over by cops because of mods he did to his car... but isnt installing a louder exhaust equals to " HEY POLICE, COME N' CATCH MY BUTT " even more? Seriously guys, explain to me from guys point of view. Apparently I still don't get the logic of him installing a louder exhaust atm.

-_-

2. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I installed such a mod on my car partially for the sound, but its a V6 and not some ricey civic, so it sounds deep and grumbly.

It also opened up my car, a less restrictive muffler, no resonator, and after-market air intake can, in tandem, give your car a pretty big boost in power. I lost a bit of torque, but my car gained about 15 of so horsepower after the mods were done. All this gain, without a noticeable effect in gas mileage change.

Yea its kind of a guy thing, lol.

3. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    A loud exhaust by itself just makes your car louder. To get any power, you have to improve airflow through the entire system, which impacts emissions and fuel economy. So yeah, I don't get it, it's just a cheap bolt-on mod, like those useless spoilers and the like. No real gain, its all show. I do have friends who install louder exhaust on their bikes for safety...most cars are now so soundproof that with the radio up, they can't hear a bike, and they are so busy with their important phone calls that they aren't looking.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I've got a 5" turbo back exhaust on my truck. Its loud and sounds great, not many things sound as good as a nice I6 cummins. I didn't just do it for sound though, I did it for more power, lower EGT's and to get rid of some of the restrictive emissions components, even if I wanted to leave them on they would have just failed due to the other performance mods on the truck.

Edit: I actually got better mileage by doing the exhaust on the truck.

5. AppleUsr

AppleUsr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i dont know. i think on cars that have at least 6 cylinders sounds pretty good but the 4 cylinders with these special exausts are so freaking lame. it sounds like crap. the only person who thinks it sounds cool is the driver.

motorcycles are a different story altogether.

6. CitizenPanda

CitizenPanda Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Fart Cans on cars without guts are ridiculous...

If you don't have a 300HP+ Engine capable of 0-60 in under 5 or 6 seconds, don't try to sound like you do!

I love the sound of V8s and Supercharged V6s. V10s are just heavenly.

7. beige

beige Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No more words to say

8. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    I put mine on my lumina just to pull up beside trucks and be louder then those rednecks ;)

9. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Who needs a loud exhaust? Just flip the air cleaner lid for the best sound.

10. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't know why people do that...

But then again its the same kind who basically ruins a perfectly good car...

Maybe they feel they have to attract attention because they else failed in life?
    So they buy a small car (can't afford anything else) - place bad sounding speaker in it that take up all the room and add an exhaust that annoys the - cough - out of everybody except their "clique".

I suppose its the same as some people will wear what is called "fashion" no matter how absurd, and others couldn't care less about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.