1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Why do people hate Dell ?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by URPradhan, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. URPradhan

URPradhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not have any Dell products but was considering to buy one Dell laptop.

But while surfing for reviews about Dell brand I found following sites, which were exclusively hosted by dissatisfied Dell owners. Surprised, Why people hate Dell ?

Also, the recent study by SqureTrade shows poor performace by Dell laptops against Asus !

http://www.ihatedell.net/
    http://www.ihatedell.org/

[​IMG]

2. AlCabone

AlCabone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is this trend on the internet: no matter what it is there are people who hate it. It's a side effect of freedom of speech.

3. John_C

John_C Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't hate Dell, but I do think they are a largely incompetant wreck of a once great company. I'll give you the latest example.

I wanted to buy a new laptop for my 74 year old mother for her birthday. All she really wanted was a large screen for viewing pictures of the grand kids and something really light since her current machine is too heavy and hurts her shoulder when she travels. After looking around a bit, I decided my real choices were between Dell's Z600 and the HP Envy 15. The Dell had a slightly larger screen (16" v 15.6") and was about half a pound lighter. The HP had some better performance specs, but that really wasn't a concern for her. In the end I chose the Dell.

I placed my order on October 19 and it was scheduled to arrive November 9th. My mother was visiting the week of the 16th, so that worked out perfectly as I could transfer all her files over and help her set it up. On the 10th, I was informed the machine was delayed a week. I called they said one part wouldn't arrive until the 13th but they agreed to expedite the order once it arrived, so that was fine and I would still have it during her visit. On the 16th, I learned that their expedite doesn't count for much and it was further delayed again until the 24th. At this point, they knew how many machines were in the queue. Since they knew when the shipment would arrive, one would think they should have known how many parts were being delivered. And my order was supposedly expedited. How does a company not do the math and manage their promises? I don't know - any reasonable company would.

At this point I was more than a little upset as it would miss her visit, but I could still take it to her during Thanksgiving. On the 20th and again on the 23rd I attempted to confirm the 24th was finally a real date. No answer. Today, the 24th, I was again notified of yet another delay and I canceled my order.

If you go to their website right now, you'll see an order placed today will be deliver in 10 days. That's the "estimate" anyway. I've been waiting for a month and a half. Despite me being assured my order was "expedited", they have missed 3 separate promised delivery dates. I have now missed my mother's birthday. And I will not see her again until sometime next year, so I won't be able to give her the present or help her get it set up.

So, you ask why people hate Dell? I don't hate them. But I understand why some people might.

Oh yeah, that inquiry last Friday seeking to confirm my order date? I just received a response eight hours after I cancelled my yet again delayed order. It didn't mention the latest delay. It just said that I would receive my now canceled order on December 3 (the same day as is promised for machine that are ordered today). Ummm, thanks Dell. If they ever produce that machine I was suppoosed to get, I hope they'll use it to build a computerized order analytics platform or a contact management system because they desperately need both.

The real shame is, this is a company that was built on great service that prided itself on always exceeding expectations. I guess that is why it is so disappointing to see the mess that this once great company has now become.

4. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cant say I hate Dell either, I agree with John C about lousy delivery times, but my big annoyance is the trained monkeys I keep getting for tech support. If they need better help I have a 12 year old who can run circles around 90% of them on phone support. I still like their business class syatems and some of the servers.

5. LPTP-LVR

LPTP-LVR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe tell the whole story about the particular model you were trying to order for a complete picture?
    Most "normal" laptops don't experience issues like this.

@the OP
    So far all my dealings with Dell have been great but i've read enough "horror stories" about their service and especially sales dept. It seems to be a lot worse in the US than in most EU countries somehow. Actually in the chart you show Dell isn't doing bad at all. And you have to consider that the malfunctions within 3yrs are actually covered by Dell as long as you don't buy consumer lines...Asus often just offers 1yr warranty.
    And...a site called "ihatedell.org" for information?

6. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    It is because there is plenty of hate to spread around. There isn't enough love to spread around though, so do the math.

It takes no work to be a hater. You gotta use your head to be a lover though.

7. LPTP-LVR

LPTP-LVR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    very true...not too much raving about how great someone's been helped... the opposite seems to be very easy :rolleyes:

8. surfasb

Reputations:
    Man, I can't remember what movie it was. There was a scene where a black and a white guy were talking about racism. The black guy was making fun of the KKk. He takes a napkin and puts it over his head. He then starts chanting, "Yeah guys! Lets go out and hate!"

It makes you pity haters. They go through life so bitter.

9. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Hate is a strong word which I don't like using, I'd rather use despise..and even then I don't "despise" Dell.

These threads pop up "here and there", every so often.

It all boils down to individual experience, and satisfaction ~ and how their customer service related issue was resolved. If it wasn't resolved to their satisfaction, of course that person is going to continue to be dissatisfied with Dell or whomever they were dealing with.

If their issue was resolved...they move on.

I've had a few issues where I was angry with Dell and had a few loud *mutters*. But I tried to work with Dell, and Dell has worked with me as much as they could to find some sort of resolve.

There have been times I have had great Customer Service from Dell ~ and those times I try to remember.

Someday, Dell will remember the Customer is the "backbone" of their company...I continually hope and think.

Cin...

10. John_C

John_C Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually, I did mention the particular model. It was the Dell Z600 as stated in the second paragraph. That is a new model, so the initial 3 week estimate was not surprising. Even the first delay, while disappointing might be understandable. But 3 weeks after the initial order when they miss the date and have to reset expectations, they know what is in the pipeline, what their inventory status is, and what their production rates are. There really is little excuse for missing that second date - especially when there has already been customer contact and the order has been expedited. But let's assume something comes from left field and causes a second missed date, wouldn't you want to make sure the third date was then rock solid? How does any multi-billion dollar corporation miss the date for any machine a third time? There is one and only one possible explanation, sloppy management with inadequate information management capabilities.

11. David

David NBR Random Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just as a correction, all Asus laptops purchased from resellers (in North America) offers 2 year global warranty + 1 year accidental damage protection + 30 day zero bright dot protection.

Back on topic.... I can't say what the current customer service is like for Dell's consumer models, but their business division is quite remarkable from my last 3 recent experiences. But like any companies, both Dell and Asus have their pros and cons. You'll have to decide what aspects/factors are important in your laptop and from there, choose whom and where to purchase it from.

12. John_C

John_C Newbie

Reputations:
    To be fair, most of the people on this forum are likely far more savvy than the majority of tech support workers at any of the major companies. As a general rule, consumers are price sensitive and not willing to pay extra for brands that have a stable of well trained support staff - and top tier technical support personnel are expensive. In fact, Dell offers higher support levels for a price. Did you purchase premium support? I have been frustrated with technical support at Dell and elsewhere, but I am guilty of not being willing to pay for better support. So I tend not to use technical support unless I absolutely have to and then I expect to be disappointed.

13. John_C

John_C Newbie

Reputations:
    True. Sometimes when I'm bored on the road, I'll call the "800 how's my driving" number on the back of trucks and report that they seem to be doing just fine. It is somewhat amusing to hear the reactions of the stunned operators who normally receive nothing but complaints.

14. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep, I buy premium support for the latitudes and the servers. still find too many script readers some days. All I want is from them to replace parts. And yes I use them only when necessary too.

15. max420

max420 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  16. Lizaveta

Lizaveta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had two Dell laptops (still do) and have never had a problem with them. I'm quite a Dell fan, actually. If I ever need another Windows notebook it'll be a Dell, definitely. People pick on anything.

My first laptop was a Dell Vostro and the CSR was very helpful during the purchasing and shipping process, even called us several times to make sure that everything was OK with the order and to tell us when it would be coming etc.

17. surfasb

Reputations:
    Here in Austin, we root for the Home Team.

18. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have no complaints about Dell. I ordered an XPS 16 and it was delivered days ahead of the due date. Unfortunately it had a defective screen. After contacting customer support and arranging the return, I had another delivered within the week and it was perfect. They did not bill me for the second one, just had me send the bad one back within a few weeks. The replacement was rushed to me and shipped next day air.

19. Sephoroth

Sephoroth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually found those charts rather interesting as IMO they demote both Apple and Sony as OEMs. Dell does ship many very low-end machines expected to be of lower build quality whereas Sony/Apple's primary markets are $1,000+ machines expected to be of better build quality.

20. willard

willard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Couple of things you need to remember, Dell consumer support is not the same as the business support and not the same as the workstation notebook support (m4400 owners for example).
    The consumer line is terrible. I have delt with them once or twice on that, but on the business lines any time i need to deal with them it is hands down fantastic and responsive service.

My Rep told me once something that i found very interesting and that is the consumer lines account for less than 1/4 of their business and the Enterprise/ medium and small business lines account for 3/4 of their sales. HP is about the same way.
    How true that is who knows but I do know when they can sell a batch of servers or Enterprise SAN that would equal in the millions of dollars for just one client, It would take a lot of their $700 notebooks to get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.