Why dell not making a 200W 3080 RTX for area51m R1&R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by devilhunter, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Ergo7

Ergo7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why would you think they would offer this? They didn't even offer a direct upgrade path for the 51m R1 to the SUPER gpus. It's the whole reason reason why there's a class action lawsuit against Dell/Alienware. They never had any intention to allow generational upgrades.

Rei Fukai, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The fact that they stopped supported the AGA prematurely was kind of a dead give away that they wouldnt be on the ball with the 51m

Rei Fukai, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  3. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, but their end of support on AGA ended well after this 51m stuff went down. End of AGA support only came with RTX 3000 series cards while we were promised upgrades on 51m in what.. march 2019? lol

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thats one way to look at it, I see it a little differently. RTX Super cards were the last to be updated into the AGA, which is also 2019. Which is also the last time they did anything with the product.

You choose to view end of support when rtx 3xxx was released but in my view for this particular scenario I view it as the last time they updated the product. I fully understand this is a harsh point of view, but when you make a product that breaks the basic rule of a PCie slot (if it fits, it should work), I believe it justified lol

That being said, Im not a part of the Alienware ecosystem anymore. Just another outsider looking in.

Rei Fukai and etern4l like this.
  5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is the problem. No one was actually promised anything....they said it multiple times that they "hoped" to offer GPU upgrades, but nothing was ever assured. Don't get me wrong, not offering upgrade paths was a dick move, but I tried to temper people's expectations from the get go, because of the wording. Nothing was ever guaranteed, and then people got all upset when it didn't pan out. I am fairly sure that's why the lawsuit never went anywhere, because they said publicly many times that upgrades were never guaranteed, but that they hoped to offer them.

They did ram the marketing down everyone's throats on the website though.

6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They actually did promise it would be "upgradeable"
    https://www.ign.com/articles/dell-class-action-lawsuit-alienware-area-51m
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...is-a-powerful-upgradeable-new-laptop-ces-2019
    https://www.mahanyertl.com/2020/dell-alienware-area-51-class-action-investigation/

I mean if they did not promise to make it "upgradeable" no one would've bat an eye. It's because the area 51 was a desktop, they did a bait and switch (just like kevin smith did with Netflix and He-man) with a small amount of false advertising sprinkled in to make people buy their machine. AW is riding on their mindshare which is erodding faster and faster every year.

etern4l likes this.
  7. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why sell a $1000 dollar part which relatively few speaking would purchase anyway when they can sell you a new $4k laptop.

Gumwars, Rei Fukai and etern4l like this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    BEcause people with 4K+ USD budgets are buying clevo :D

94sportsedan, Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You say that but i everyday on reddit i see plenty of people buying those awful Alienware Aurora desktops with 3090's and another 2k's worth of monitors and accessories. Believe me there a enough uninformed with disposable income about to buy the cheap nasty and underperforming **** that dell spew out.

I've not seen a desktop as bad as those Aurora's ever yet they sell like hotcakes.

10. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One word. Mining. Ebay aurora desktop and you will see TONS of results with these without a gpu.