Why buying a laptop in 2019 sucks!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Joshva, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With a more modular design one could even justify and afford a backup mainboard in the case of a very expensive machine that one wants to use for longer. Probably an option for a Clevo P870TM or P775TM but try that for a MSI GT76 where you also would have to pay for the on board RTX-2080 or a top of the line MSI GT75 where you would also have to pay for the BGA 8 core CPU.

As for Asus and Acer it boggles the mind to think about mainboard pricing for something like the ROG G703 or Predator Helios 700 that both have the i9-9980HK and the RTX-2080 on board - ouch!

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unpopular opinion but I actually like where the market is headed - towards thin and light. My laptop for me is like a portable workstation which I can carry with me anywhere I like.

For the full workstation experience, I carry my i7 8750H + 2080 MaxQ laptop which gives me all the performance I need, Zenscreen 15.6" External Monitor + XP-PEN 15.6" Drawing tablet for full triple monitor experience. I also use a Tab S6 as an auxiliary display. With this setup I can do everything that I can do on my main rig with relative ease. I use this when I am travelling overseas for weeks and need to get work done.

Now if I had a thicker and heavier laptop, carrying all this would be difficult(and expensive if I had to pay for extra luggage). That's why I got rid of my Lenovo Y500 a few years ago and Clevo P750TM1 recently.

I am actually super excited about Folding Phones as I can replace my Phone + Tablet with one device. Although I doubt anything usable will be launched in at least 2 years.

At home I have a 9900K + RTX 2080Ti rig so I don't need something faster in laptop form. If someone only has one laptop as their main rig, I can understand that they'd want all the performance they can get but for them, there are Clevos.

Do I miss being able to replace my i7 8750H on my laptop with say a i9 9880H? Yes! However, I much prefer to have a thinner and lighter laptop than the ability to upgrade my processor.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Actually, it's not an unpopular opinion. It's actually pretty common and there are tons of options available that fit the bill. Things are fairly decent for those that share your opinion. Not only is there something available that you want, but a variety of options available to choose from.

It's only unpopular among the folks that don't have any robust and pleasing options available to purchase something that they value and want. The only thing left now is the inferior second-fiddle Clevo model or a defective Alienware. The really great Clevo model is now EOL and only available from a few vendors that snagged the remaining stock to sell to those unwilling to spend their money for something inferior that they don't want. So, it went from one good option to no good option.

It should be easy for anyone to see how that is totally unacceptable, even if they're in a good place. It's kind of like living in a gigantic metropolitan area with no place you can out to eat a delicious and healthy meal because McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box are the only restaurants that exist. And, there is at least one of those options on every block, in any direction.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    seamon and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    "Why buying a laptop in 2019 sucks!" But will it be any better in 2020?:vbbiggrin:
    [​IMG]

Maybe a gamingbook from Apple is what you should buy? Only $5000 usd if this is correct.

Apple Rumored to Launch High-End ‘Gaming Focused’ Mac for 2020 for a Somewhat Reasonable Price
    [​IMG]
    Rumored Gaming Mac Could Fetch a $5000 Price, Which Isn’t All That Much Considering What Apple Charges
    Patently Apple reports that a rumor originating from Taiwan talks about a ‘gaming’ Mac from Apple that could fetch a price of up to $5,000 with the sole intention of targeting the e-sports market.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, Falkentyne and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LoL. That's truly disgusting. Nothing comes from Apple that is high end other than the price tag.

"High end" looks like this... there is definitely no such thing as a high end turdbook if performance is the basis for measurement.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Ashtrix, Spartan, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    So they are planning on cramming gaming grade hardware into an ultra thin bezel?

Well, I sure hope that 5.000$ model has the fan is connected to the heatsink.
    [​IMG]

Vasudev, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    They added the extra fan just so it could make more noise like a gaming laptop. That will make the MacBook gamers feel like they are part of the elite gamer club. Expecting actual functionality from the fans is probably unrealistic. It will still overheat and thermal throttle because that behavior is proof that it is "functioning as intended" LOL.

Vasudev, 1610ftw and Papusan like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Add Color Changing RGB Apple Logo.
    I feel MBP gaming must be like a Clevo with unlocked FW limits for max performance.

9. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless Apple come up with some very innovative cooling ideas (maybe cooling via the back of the screen / lid?) that "gaming" macbook will be a colossal failure if it gets something that has RTX 2080 or better performance which it should given the price that we surely can expect from Apple.

But even if they come up with that I am of the opinion that one should not support one of those glued together monstrosities that goes one step further than the likes of Asus and Acer and does not even let its users upgrade or exchange the RAM or storage.

That being said they do a number of things very well - especially Clevo should get a MBP 16 to learn how to do proper sound on a laptop even with limited case volume. The MBP 16 is very good in that regard and puts my P870DM to shame with about one third of the case volume.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Something like Liq. cooing dock priced at 5000$ which can be connected to macbook gaming edition for superior gaming performance!

1610ftw and Mr. Fox like this.