Why buying a laptop in 2019 sucks!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Joshva, Oct 24, 2019.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I strongly agree with you, I personally rock a mx150 :p laptop and will save the heavy games for stadia when it comes but I fear It will let me down. like the mx150 is not horrible, I just bought grid and run mostly high at 1080p and get around 40fps which is smooth enough for me but yeah I guess if you find only 120fps and up smooth then even the dtr have their place.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It will be interesting to see how Stadia and competing cloud gaming products affect things. It's probably going to be a perpetual cash cow, (since everything will essentially be rented on a subscription basis rather than owned,) and I anticipate it will result in further degradation of the definition of what constitutes a "high performance" computer (laptop or desktop) because excellent performance will not be necessary for good gaming. I think it may ultimately do more damage to the PC gaming hobby than consoles have. If the only thing needed for decent gaming is a basic appliance attached to a fast and reliable internet connection, that is going to turn everything upside down and there will be less of a need for impressive hardware that one can be proud to own. Ironically, it could result in a similar dumbing down of game consoles as well.

Our one saving grace could be the commonality of the curse of slow and unreliable internet, (maybe further exacerbated by network congestion that cloud gaming could cause,) in many parts of the US and other countries may prevent those cloud gaming services from being as successful and widely adopted as those service providers hope and pray that they will be. It could also be interesting to see what kind of grief that congestion might cause for the rest of us that just want to have a good experience puttering around on the internet, but can't because of the congestion created by widespread streaming of digital entertainment services.

Skateboarding is not a crime might be replaced by Cloud gaming is not a crime if that screws things up for everyone else due to not having adequate infrastructure to support it all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    JRE84 likes this.
  3. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i am not sure if this is a right thread of even section of the forum to ask, but do you guys think gaming laptops will go on a 11.11 sale next week?

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    A sale for Veteran's Day? Maybe. You'd probably do better to wait until Black Friday (11/29) for a good sale.

JRE84 likes this.
  5. randomA

Reputations:
    you reckon hidevolution will have ?
    also , tbh is it worth to buy a new gaming laptop in november considering that all new techs will be released upon the new year?

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi bro. As far as tech coming next year being worth waiting for, that depends on a number of things. Like how bad do you need it now? Does tomorrow ever come? (There is always something new that makes what we just bought obsolete within a few months.) Also, consider that newer is often not better. With computers it often goes the other way, depending on what you are measuring. Some aspects are getting better (like better display panels) and others are getting worse (like thermal management and firmware cancer). Most of the laptops today are rubbish when it comes to firmware and thermal engineering and that probably will not change in 2020 and beyond. I would expect the worst in both of those realms, because that's just how they roll. The folks that manufacture them do not care if they work correctly as long as they stick to their own agenda. Lots of unknowns involved with waiting for something better to surface.

If you don't care about overclocking, AMD might have something in laptop CPUs coming that could be worth waiting for. If you care about overclocking, they don't really bring anything interesting now because they suck at overclocking, and probably won't change that much next year, especially with mobile processors.

I would ping @Donald@HIDevolution to find out if they are going to have any sales going on for Black Friday.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. randomA

Reputations:
    I was mostly waiting to new more efficient CPUs that might or might not improve performance on current gaming laptops

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This video should have way more views than it already has.

Tbh laptops are always going to have issues from time to time, Once the warranty ends that when users normally start having issues. There always been horror stories with every PC brand and there's really no way around it, You could say its like gambling. With today's gaming laptops with i7s reaching temps up to 90C out of box it wont be surprise if they end up dead in about 2 or 3 years since most people dont dust out the vents nor repaste the CPU/GPU with fresh thermal paste

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  9. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I understand why a lot of people like "thin and light", but not all of us do. The trend has been toward non-replaceable batteries (even the ThinkPad P73) and fewer storage slots (even the workstations now have only one 2.5" bay -- my old Dell Precision M6500 has three, when I replaced the optical drive). And of course, thin and light means less airflow for cooling.

I'd personally prefer a bulky laptop that has ample storage available and good cooling than a thin, sleek one that doesn't. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in catering to that.

I have the same kind of rant about phones...but that belongs elsewhere (and you can find it on this site).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I agree with you. There is a place for big and bulky, and a place for ultra-portable. It really sucks when the lines get blurred and products get dumbed down in the process, but we have consumers that value form over function to thank for that. The lukewarm crap in the middle is kind of disgusting to me.

But, I don't like compromises or shades of gray. Standards must be lowered to accommodate compromises, and I don't like that either. I'm more of a black and white, all or nothing personality. I also find more pleasure in the glory of excess than the value in simplicity.