Why are there no Clevo notebooks with high end cpus with integrated graphics?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by grunnsat, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Intel with the i7-8559U, as well as AMD with the Ryzen 7 2700U, both produce powerful mobile CPUs with also quite powerful integrated GPUs. Both processors also have a low TDP, so they run cool, and long on a battery.

Combine them with high end 4k 100% Adobe RGB displays, and you have a magnificent notebook.

And yet, Clevo has no such notebook. For some reason Clevo insists on using other CPUs with separate graphic cards, producing bigger, far more expensive, and power hungry notebooks.

Now you will say that those integrated graphics are not powerful enough for gaming. True, but guess what, not all people are into gaming!!

Is there any chance that Clevo may produce the kind of notebook I'm looking for, or will they stay fixated on gaming notebooks?

2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here's Clevo's entire range:
    https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_pro.asp?lang=en

Resellers pick and choose what models to stock, and from what I understand, they have to be selective as to what they choose to stock as minimum order quantities are high. Given that portables and ultraportables from the larger known brands are backed with a cohesive and far bigger budget marketing spend and support infrastructure, I assume resellers choose models from different brands to fill that niche. The workstation Clevos, which are usually quite similar to the high end gamers but with significantly less graphics power, seem very rare by comparison to their gaming models (on ebay etc)

j3rwin and Support.3@XOTIC PC like this.
  3. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ...um, what's exactly your point? If you're not into gaming, there are Clevos with an i7 8565u. If you're even a casual gamer, an integrated graphics is absolutely worthless, and an MX 150 is the absolute minimum to play relatively recent games at low/medium details in Full HD. So... what exactly is the market for the 8559u? Maybe the Surface Pro or convertibles where a dedicated card wouldn't fit, but other than else?

4. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Re-read OP carefully:

The market is for people that do CPU intensive work that isn't at all GPU-bound. I'm sure you can think of a few use cases?

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In that case, the major OEMs (Dell, HP, Lenovo) have that market pretty well covered. Clevo is more of a niche brand. I'm sure the higher-ups there have considered doing what the OP is asking but ultimately couldn't justify a business case for it.

Dennismungai likes this.
  6. Mapl

Mapl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are probably right about the business case.
    Although there are enough people and cases who really dont care about GPU. Perhaps not enough for a business case.....
    The oem’s you mentioned are not well known for putting desktop cpu’s in laptops.
    I would like to see clevo offer such powerfull laptops with optimus

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's never going to happen. The market for laptops with desktop CPUs is a subset of a subset, and the overwhelming majority of people who buy them couldn't care less about battery life.

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The post still doesn't make sense to me. I get that the 8559u has an higher clock, but he specifically mentions the GPU as a pro:

Why should one care about GPU in such a product if, as you say, we are talking about CPU intensive tasks? BTW, in such case, wouldn't a laptop with an 8750h and no dGPU be simply better?

9. grunnsat

Reputations:
    The i7-8565u has a frequency of 1.8 GHz and the UHD Graphics 620. The i7-8559u has a frequency of 2.7 GHz, and the much more powerful UHD Graphics plus 655. The price is almost the same. Socket is the same, so why not use the i7-8559u???

10. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Indeed, and the GPUs in these processors are much better then the GPUs in the other mobile CPUs. It is a very nice compromise between simple notebooks with simple GPUs, and higher end notebooks with separate graphics cards. Combining it with a high-end display, and you have a very nice notebook for photo and film work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.