Why are Asus laptops not sold at futureshop and best buy in canada?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ilikeicehockey, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikeicehockey

ilikeicehockey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Asus is a decently well known brand out there and it provides solid and dependable laptops with many varieties ranging from ultraportable to powerful gaming laptops. Overall, a good company.

If so, why aren't Asus laptops sold at large electronic stores such as future shop and best buy?

2. ClearSkies

ClearSkies Well no, I'm still here..

Reputations:
    Asus has only recently started to offer a diluted G1 at BestBuy in the US. They have always been a direct sales through resellers rather than big box retailers - this approach allows them to set and hold unit pricing as well as components to whatever their standard is, rather than the retailers' request (hence the lower-powered G1@BB). Also keeps them out of having to deal with customer returns / chargebacks for retail purchasing on a large scale.

Second, the notebook part of their business in North America is very small (some might even say insignificant) compared to their notebook presence globally or their overall business.

Finally, the US notebook market is dominated by Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba for one main reason - the US populace values price above all else (the Wal-Mart effect) as a general rule over quality, and they make their profits off sheer volume on razor-thin margins. Asus is more about quality in their products, at reasonable pricing, and is essentially a niche brand among those who know. That leaves little incentive for a company making quality goods that sell incredibly well overseas to attempt broad entry into the NA marketplace.

3. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Number and price.

To sell in a large retailer, you need numbers, and ASUS doesn't produce that many notebooks at a time. If anything shipments from Taiwan for notebooks come in at 100-200 per model, which is very small.

Price, ask mentioned, is another factor. Consumers are all about money, the lower the better. I don't think anyone's gonna line up at BB/FS if a G1s goes for sale for $1299, but if a CD Acer with 256 ram is on sale for $499, who cares, I'm lining up cause everyone else is!

4. RogueMonk

RogueMonk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    An Acer for $499? Where? I got me one of those! ;)

5. djembe

djembe drum while you work

Reputations:
    like many products, it's also hard to gauge a computer working solely on price. A $2000 Asus may well be as good or better than a $3000 Sony, but uninformed customers who don't look at the specifications or don't know what they mean and how they'll affect real-life usage aren't going to know that. Also, different brands work better in different price ranges. The average price spent on a notebook computer in the United States is $1000, which means that virtually everything Asus sells won't even be in consideration for about half US computer shoppers.

6. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Pretty much, and it's a factor here as well. In ads and flyers, most are under the $1400 Canadian mark, no matter what size.

Plus, a well educated consumer knows better then to buy in store, saves money from taxes if you buy online. Use models in store as a starting point ;)

7. ilikeicehockey

ilikeicehockey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks for clearing that up guys

8. mikeymike

mikeymike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two things i can think of...

One, is production
    theres approx 1100 BB stores i north america and less than 180 of those are in Canada (FutureShop and BB)
    Asus is having a hard enough time stocking all of 900+ BB US's stores alone with just a select few notebooks. And with a corp change in the horizon theres a bit of a strangle hold on full fledge production of all models.. which brings me to the second point...

Second, Asus just announced a worldwide corporate name change.
    So with that said it doenst make any sense to roll out a massive ad campaign and increase stock production to try make the Asus name more visible only to have it dissapear to be replace by some Moronictron name later.

9. bosblade

bosblade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    actually there are very few bb that carry asua it is almost exclusively online and in a few stores targeted to power users as well as the extremly large stores that carry everything. also not many associates know how to sell asus because they are not familiar with it i know from experience that many of them automatically turn to sony for the high end because it looks expensive and they think its high-end. that and consumers all think that hp dell and sony are the gods of quality for no apparent reason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.