Why 8GB + ??

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Nick11, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You've got 16GB system RAM and 4GB VRAM if not 8GB VRAM. No problem there.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    MonarchX, you'd better run anti-virus on your system, maybe it will help to improve your Windows experience on any amount of RAM by removing viruses and spyware. And disable counter-effective optimizations. Or just quit the Alota RAM is the only way to smooooth cult, whatever. If you can't make Windows run smooth and all on 4GB and less RAM, it's your personal problem, seriously. Live with it or deal with it, but stop extrapolating it on others, it's pretty annoying.

Qing Dao likes this.
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We have different definitions of "smooth" then. I am very picky and sensitive to any kind of hitching, pausing, stuttering be it micro or barely there - I see it. My system runs extremely well, scoring higher in most synthetic and game benchmarks than rigs with similar or even better hardware. I am not installing stupid anti virus because I do not have a virus. You only get viruses if you do not know what you are doing and download sketchy files with spyware or warez from sketchy sites. Never do that and you will not get a virus. I use Malware Bytes portable that never finds anything other than cookies, but it doesn't need install and run in background all the time to consume resources. Anti-Virus apps overtake your PC big-time and can slow it down, especially if it has only 4GB of RAM. Norton AV causes 10x more problems than it ever solves. Small and easy on resources apps like Malware Bytes, AdwCleaner, Hitman Pro, RogueKiller, Autoruns, and CCleaner + CCEnhancer are your best tools for spyware and virus removal, although if you do get a real nasty virus that spread itself all over your PC, then I suggest BitDefender AV, but format and fresh Windows install would be a better solution in such a case.

4GB will run Windows, but not optimally and sure as hell wont let you game semi demanding games without slow downs even with SSD. I do not need anyone's confirmation on that. I used 100s of machines to know this to be true. 6GB is the minimum for Windows 7 / 8 and simplest 2D games for fully smooth and fast operations. 8GB is the minimum for Windows and demanding AAA games for smooth and fast operations. 16GB is for the possible future game RAM needs, but it also helps with current AAA games and not worrying about background tasks and ALT TAB game to explorer switching performance.

EDIT: How do you check who gives your LIKES and TROPHIES and for which posts/threads? I need to check out my fan base :D.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    In adjacent topics you're asking newbie questions expected from a person who just got his first notebook. Anyway, enough's enough. Have fun jerking off your infinite knowledge and prodigious wisdom, I interfere no more.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't know much about laptops, it was the other tech's responsibility!

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

octiceps, jaug1337 and Qing Dao like this.
  7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    That's not future proofing, it's a waste of money.

Unless you have Adobe programs running, doing video editing, gaming at the same time and use virtual machines, 16GB is a waste.

Actually just plain useless. 8GB will make sure you run just fine. I have 32GB, but I actually USE it. Only seen horrible BF4 use a lot of RAM due to it's horrible optimization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.