Why 8GB + ??

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Nick11, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    There isn't a single game on the market that requires of 8GB of system RAM. Even native 64-bit executables like PlanetSide 2 use less than 6GB, which should leave more than enough room for Windows and background processes, assuming a non-bloated OS install and closing other memory-intensive apps before gaming. Most AAA's nowadays use more VRAM than RAM. 8GB is perfectly fine for gaming.

Starlight5 and hfm like this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    But but, Call Of Dooty Ghost. Such graphics, much wow, so next gen, 8GB plz...

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Minimum System Requirements
    • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
    • RAM: 6 GB RAM
    • HDD: 40 GB HD space
    • Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
    • Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
    • DirectX: 11
    • Internet: Broadband Internet connection and Steam and Online Multiplayer
    Recommended System Requirements
    • CPU: Intel Core i5 – 680 @ 3.6GHz
    • RAM: 8 GB RAM
    • HDD : 40 GB HD space
    • Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 @ 4GB
    • Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    • DirectX: DirectX 11
    • Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.
    [​IMG]

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    ^^^Wow, you sure went there an extra mile for a joke :D.

Starlight5 and octiceps like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    That's bullcrap.. I have 5GB's of pagefile and along with it, COD has constantly used 3.5GBs++ of RAM... I have it on almost max settings on full HD res.. HAHA 2GB RAM... Must been playing it on medium.. or low..

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The main reason new games require those specs in the first place is probably because of minimized optimizations that went into them.
    But, 8GB system RAM should be enough for most if not all new games... 16 to 32 GB would be recommended if you are doing things such as 3d modelling, photoshop, etc.
    I do such stuff and for the moment I still have 8GB system RAM (signature) - then again, when I get a new laptop, it will be maxed out (with 32GB RAM as well).

Depends on what you use the system for.
    Basic stuff and gaming, 8GB is enough for most.
    Anything beyond that and those requirements go up... but arguably, for large PS and 3d Studio Max files/projects you need a powerful CPU and GPU... while on the RAM side, 8 to 16GB should 'technically' suffice (again... depending on how large projects you are processing).

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Are you stating from experience or what reports because I play at Ultra textures with 3GB vRAM on 970m and it plays smooth. Just because it consumes that much vRAM doesn't mean it needs that much vRAM. I was hesitant before I opted for a 3GB vRAM GPU laptop, but in the end it hasn't been problematic so far. Even Advanced Warfare fills your vRAM but it runs smooth as silk at 90FPS and no stutters.

Even with DirectX 12, I'll believe it when I see it with memory stacking. There's a long way to go before that is realized in games without glitches and other issues. SLI still has its share of issues over a decade after its introduction. It's good in concept but will require solid drivers and developers following proper programming rules for it to work effectively.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know from experience that Shadow of Mordor maxed out @ 1080p with 3GB of RAM on overclocked GTX 780 Ti + 3770K @ 4800Mhz and Ultra textures installed ran with great framerate, but it mini-stuttered (tiny hitches) every 10 seconds for half a second or so when there wasn't a ton of enemies around, especially during the 2nd part of the game with grass and all. It was NOT 100% fluid and smooth. Benchmark results were excellent and the benchmark itself ran smooth with 3GB, but when you had to fight 30 orcs at once, tiny stutters occurred every 5-7 seconds and at times every 3-4 seconds. 4GB GTX 980 eradicated all the mini stuttering. Maybe you're not sensitive to such small stutters, but all reviews that analyzed the game showed it truly maxed out all 3GB of VRAM on on 3GB cards and needed it almost every frame, not just for pre-caching. I am aware that utilization is not the same as the actual need, but in case with Shadow of Mordor it is. I don't know if you had Ultra textures properly installed or some settings below the maximum, but 3GB cards provided good frameRATE,yet there were frameTIME bumps throughout gameplay that resulted in mini-stutters. I played it on 120hz screen without V-Sync, but even with V-Sync the issue stayed. The game recommends 6GB VRAM, 4GB runs it 100% smooth, high-end 3GB runs it with good framerate, but variable and bumpy frameTIME that results in noticeable tiny stutters, especially during heavy fighting. Maybe with Maxwell, something changed in the way 3GB of VRAM were utilized in the game - I don't know, but GTX 780 Ti 3GB @ 1250/7600Mhz on 3770K @ 4.8Ghz with 16GB of RAM @ 2200Mhz, 256 Samsung 830 SSD, and updated Windows 8.1 produces tiny stutters every 3-10 seconds, depending on what's going on (fighting or not) throughout the game with Ultra textures enabled and everything else maxed out @ 1080p. On High or Very High textures, the game ran 100% flawlessly without a single stutter.

These mini-stutters were a lot like tiny Far Cry 3 and 4 stutters that occur on every system. They were NOT like the super-stutters that occured in Watch Dogs and still occur, even after the very latest patch + huge mod + 4GB GTX 980 card. It was playable, but not 100% smooth and during heavy fights it was very annoying.

The same 3GB end up creating mini stutters in Assassin's Creed: Unity @ 1080p with everything maxed out, 4x MSAA/TXAA. I know the game is badly optimized, but GTX 780 Ti 3GB ran is with way more hitching than GTX 980 4GB did. You can't just go with optimized games or else you miss out on many consolified AAA titles that are decent games when they run well. A high-end gaming laptop should be powerful enough to run ALL games maxed out without stutters.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  9. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    FYI, I always keep my PC highly optimized without any extra services, startup items, anti-virus (never get them, EVER), nothing else in the background, everything updated and tweaked. I do run AdwCleaner and Hitman Pro for spyware removal, but it was years since the last time I got spyware on my PC.

Windows pre-caches a lot of data into system RAM. When I switched from 8GB of RAM to 16GB of RAM, game load-times improved, and then upon exiting a game and starting a new one, load times continued to be faster than with 8GB by 1-3 seconds. ALT+TAB usage while the game was running also improved and I could switch back to the game without waiting on some 2-3 extra seconds for before it runs 100% smooth again. Hell, when I would quit a game and start a different one with 8GB, I would always get 3 seconds of stuttering upon loading a level in some games. It felt as if data needed to be purged from 8GB and re-populated with new game's data to get it going smoothly. With 16GB of RAM, that beginning-of-game 3 second stutter disappeared.

I am not saying you NEED 16GB. I would go for 16GB to make your machine future-proof for upcoming games, which is why I got it (as a present actually!). Don't go for less than 8GB of RAM for AAA games.

4GB of RAM is NOT enough for Windows 7 SP1 to have 100% fluid experience if you plan on using web browsers, MS Word, Excel, PPoint, Access, Project, Visio, etc. I worked as a PC repair tech and I've worked on 100's of machines to know that. You can tell almost immediately that Windows 7 SP1 runs better with 8GB than with 4GB. Windows 8.1 is slightly more optimized and it does better with 4GB, but still not as fluid with 4GB as it is with 6GB and 8GB.

10. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Blah blah blah.

I agree with HTWingNut and have not encountered problems with ram or vram gaming.

Blah blah blah need more ram blah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.