Why 8GB + ??

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Nick11, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    8G for gaming is fine.. If I actually did work on my blade and didn't prefer my rmbp for that I probably would not have the blade.. Or would have sold whatever it was I ended up begrudgingly settling for last year and gotten the 2015 blade a few weeks ago. :)

2. sabricaze

sabricaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    8GB is more than enough.

16GB is for those that installed useless bunch of stuff and never figured out what they are or those that actually run a lot of software in the background without closing, in which case for the sake of laziness, they need more than anyone.

For ANY gaming at this moment, 8GB is more than enough.

3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I would never use any computer with less than 32 GB of RAM at this day and age with RAM being dirt cheap

4. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Where are you getting your RAM? Even a 16gb kit is like $80-$100, 32gb is probably double that.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Are we talking about system RAM and Video RAM? 8GB of system RAM is the MINIMUM you need for today's games and 4GB of Video RAM is what you really want to have in your videocard for 1080p games. Some say you can get by 3GB, but if you truly want to max out all the settings and experience absolutely no stuttering, then 4GB is the way to go. Some games, like ME: Shadow of Mordor can use even more than 4GB of VRAM, but Shadow of Mordor runs perfectly smooth with 4GB of VRAM with Ultra textures, yet it gets plenty of stutters with 3GB VRAM cards of the same speed when Ultra textures are enabled.

What I wonder is why the hell are they putting 8GB of VRAM to go along with GTX 980M? Does it increase the overall price of the system? I think it may and by good $150 if not more. 8GB will make GTX 980M last longer when it comes to intensive gaming, but by the time even 6GB of VRAM becomes a requirement for Ultra-level graphics settings, GTX 980M GPU is going to be slow enough to warrant an upgrade.

If you take into consideration that DirectX 12 will allow stacking VRAM in SLi configurations, then it makes the whole thing even crazies. 2x GTX 980M SLi with 8GB of VRAM in each card will be able to utilize 16GB of VRAM (8GB from each card) with DirectX 12. With so much VRAM you can run the whole system on your videocard AND that VRAM is so fast that the system using it would be blazing fast! They have RAM drives, but what about VRAM drives? Just fit the entire games or at least all of its graphics data onto the card's VRAM drive with 12GB size, leaving 4GB for the graphics demanded immediately. It should be possible, shouldn't it?

Spartan likes this.
  6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    "RAM being dirt cheap"??! Uhhh...DDR3 price is the highest its been in like 4 years. I remember when you could get an 8GB kit for $30. Now? $60 at least.

And what do you do that would require so much RAM, if I might ask?

TomJGX and killkenny1 like this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    MonarchX, some people don't care about max settings, they need games to run without lag at low/medium and that's it. Your estimations of minimal RAM requirements are irrelevant.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't understand what you're talking about. You need 8GB of SYSTEM RAM to run any demanding AAA games, regardless of whether you use Ultra settings or Low settings. Hell, Windows 8.1 and 7 aren't running all that smooth with 4GB of RAM without games. For perfectly fluid Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 experience, you do need 6GB of RAM and that MAY fit some AAA games, but 8GB is what you really want to have for both - fluid + smooth Windows experience and fluid + smooth gaming. If all you play are simple indie games, then 6GB is plenty, but if you want to run Dying Light, then 8GB is the minimum. 16GB is the perfect amount for a high-end rig and you don't have to worry about shutting down applications, optimizing, etc.

Now Video RAM is different. For Low and Medium settings, even 2GB can be enough, and for many games 3GB is enough for High settings, but for Ultra-level maxed out settings, 4GB is the minimum.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    :vbconfused:
    "Damn, it feels good to be a sheik."
    :D:D:D

But yeah, I too wonder what Ferris does with those 32GBs of RAM :vbconfused:
    Video/photo editing? CAD? FEM?

TomJGX and Starlight5 like this.
  10. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Topic starter is interested mainly in these games. They will run perfectly fine on 4GB, maybe even less.
    That's ********. It runs perfectly well on 2GB RAM. It runs flawlessly on even less if specific software alternatives and some tinkering are applied.
    Of course more RAM = better, thanks a lot, Captain Obvious. But is it really required for topic starters scenario? Hell no! Reasons behind you deliberately pushing topic starter into different notebook category are beyond my understanding.

hfm, Qing Dao and killkenny1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.