Why 8GB + ??

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Nick11, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The memory can't be upgraded, and on Dell.com the difference between 4GB of RAM and 8GB of RAM is $200. If you know your usage and don't expect that to change drastically any time soon, just go with the 4GB.

On my main computer I have 8GB of RAM, but on my secondary one I only have 3GB. I was going to upgrade it, but after trying it out as it was, I realized I didn't need it. Don't let people tell you that you need X amount of RAM based on their own usage.

2. Nick11

Nick11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thanks for you reply. It's not the $200 dollars that discourages me. It's buying a model with QHD +. I love the Dell XPS 13, but I HATE DELL. I will never buy from them direct again after the experiences I have had. So if I buy the unit, it will be from the Microsoft store...

So if I want FHD I need to stick to 4gb. Once again for the life of me I will never understand this obsession with QHD touch on a laptop...

3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Are you only limited to Dell, OP?
    I too wouldn't buy QHD, especially on 13" laptop, so I would look elsewhere.

4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    8GB is the new 4GB

moviemarketing likes this.
  5. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Yes, aftermarket RAM is very cheap, can't you just buy 8GB stick and install in the XPS 13? Or is it one if those models like Apple and Razer that can't be upgraded?

6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's called memory leakage causing excessive memory usage when it shouldn't.

7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Can't understand everyone saying 4GB is enough these days...

Programs are taking more and more RAM memory.. how is 8GB not recommendable.

moviemarketing likes this.
  8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The way I see it if it is DDR2 memory that not going to be a cheap upgrade to go 4 to 8 as opposed to DDR3 going from 4 to 8 is less expensive route. But Gaming relies more on the GPU and GPU memory and less on System RAM. Having more memory is good but you have to see if the cost out weighs the benefits. If you game like WWW or COD or BF4 then you should've gotten a Gaming rig that cost above 1500US already for that for True Gaming. And for everyday purpose I used 4gig on a 1525 Dell with Windows 7 without much problem only when you start to open to many windows that might be a problem but it has DDR2. I do have another Gateway P7811FX with 8gigs DDR3 in it and runs ok but haven't gamed on it yet but it does have dedicated GPU for that purpose if need be. This way if you don't game alot 4gigs should suffice but if you start doing heavy Video and CAD and Multimedia then you should consider 8gigs instead of 4gigs and get a laptop that has a dedicated GPU with plenty of GPU RAM for that purpose.

9. ethon21

ethon21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Memory usage feels as though it's tapered off a bit in the last few years. Part of this had to do with the prevalence of 32 bit applications (most games were), which means they could only use 4 GB of RAM, so if you had 8 GB total, you were pretty well covered in most situations. For standard web surfing, a bit of business work, and light gaming, I'm sure you could get by with 4 GB total by just closing down programs that you don't need (and probably not even doing that much of it).

Unless you're doing multimedia editing or running a lot of VMs, it's unusual to climb above 8 GB, unless you're trying to eat memory. Personally I have 16 GB, but I do some work with VMs, so I do climb over the 8 GB mark at times.

If you already have a gaming desktop, then it probably becomes even less of an issue. The fact that it's 4k capable isn't terribly relevant: much of the work for that should be done in VRAM and not system RAM. Laptops always have the potential issue of upgradeability - but how long do you anticipate it being before you buy a new one? If you buy a new one every two years, "future proofing" doesn't carry much weight. If you really don't want the QHD screen (which is understandable) and you have a gaming desktop, I wouldn't be inclined to worry about it and just go with the model you want.

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    I have installed Win 8.1 on couple low-ram machines, with 2GB and dGPU, and 2.5GB and iGPU respectively, and they run perfectly fine - without page file at all, mind it. Nobody plays any games on them, though - but browsing, media playback, office stuff runs fast and without any problems. So those claiming high Windows 8.1 memory consumption and 4GB not being enough for smoothly running the OS itself, leave that blah-blah-blah to yourselves.

Now, back on our main topic - games that is. They indeed are getting more and more memory-hungry, many titles being x64 only. Nick11, I'd say 4GB is OK only if it is upgradeable to 8GB or more. You can easily get away with games you listed on 4GB RAM machine, but some newer titles and global updates for older ones might have problems in the future, if not right now. Bottom line is, if memory is 4GB soldered and there is no socket - AVOID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.