Who has backlit keyboards?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rturvey, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rturvey

rturvey Newbie

Reputations:
    I know Apple does. Anyone else have them or is there any news on a next generation laptop that may have them available.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    IBM has a feature in which you can turn on a light that shines from the top of your screen onto your keypad, I think it's in all ThinkPads at this point, but I don't know of any notebook manufacturer outside of Apple that provides backlit keyboards.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've not seen any on mainstream brands anyway. You could also go with a USB powered light if that's what you need to see.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

4. Robko

Robko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Panasonic laptops has backlite keyboard, but they are not so popular

5. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The reason for no one having the backlit keyboards, is probably since it seems almost unnecessary. If you are typing properly you should be able to type fine without any lights on the keys. Not to mention the illumination from the proximety of the monitor lights it up pretty well anyways.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 21,862

6. rturvey

rturvey Newbie

Reputations:
    I use my laptop in my home theater at night to surf the web. It is pitch black in this room. I have to constantly tip my monitor down to see where to lay my fingers. I thank everyone for their responces they were all very helpful.

7. Robko

Robko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    man u need a USB LED light for 10-20 USD and your problem is done, just in case u don't have a IBM notebook which in most cases has integrated LED on the upper part of the Display

8. briggs_ca

briggs_ca Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my inspiron doesnt have a light but it doesnt need one, screen illuminates the keyboard very well, but my ibm thinkpad screen wouldnt light the keyboard up very well without the light thing on, and i can type pretty darn well, except just some things like if i wanted to hit the power button or something, i couldnt see it and had to search for it for a second lol

.:Inspiron 9100:.
    -:2.8 P4:-
    -:1GB 400 MHz RAM:-
    -:60GIG 7200 RPM HDD:-
    -:128MB ATI Radeon 9700:-
    -:800MHz FSB:-

9. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    My zx5000 screen lights up the keyboard very well when the brightness is maxed.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 21,862

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.