Which will be the better laptop: Aorus 15 vs Clevo's 16"

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Histidine, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm still here and I'm still indecisive. Nothing in the previous generation of laptops really jumped out at me as something that would suit my needs, but two new contenders have just been released and I've been watching like a hawk for news or information about them:

Aorus 15 W9: http://www.hidevolution.com/aorus-15-w9-rt4bd-15-6-fhd-144hz-i7-8750h-rtx-2060.html

The Gigabyte Aero 15W was almost the perfect laptop for me - portable, powerful, and versatile. The critical drawback was the heat. The previous Aorus also ran hot, but this one is allegedly a new design that shows promise: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Upcom...-refresh-we-ve-been-waiting-for.391581.0.html

Clevo P960ED: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p960ed-rtx-2060.html

Clevo's previous generation was unimpressive, but they have just released a couple new models that may have fixed the overheating problem. I've got my eye on the 15" models as well, but this 16" laptop looks especially attractive. As long as it delivers what it promises, of course. I've owned two Clevos and they've both filled their roles wonderfully, so I know the potential is there.

Any thoughts or predictions on these two systems? Which would you buy?

I have seen very little talk about them and they've been in stores almost a week. Of course I'll wait until I see reviews, but I've got my fingers crossed that at least one of these is decent. They have what I want: they're functionally mobile without sacrificing all their horsepower, and I can use them in a work environment without feeling out of place. And they have number pads.

2. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat. I am also considering MSI's GS75 too but I haven't seen any deals.

To get a little more bang for the buck however...

Eluktronics MECH-17 G1R Slim & Light as you can get it with a full 2070 / 2060. It weighs about same as the Aorus but with a 17". I would avoid the MECH-15 as the keyboard looks cramped.

https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-17

Some of these are a little cheaper on Amazon if you search P960ED / NP8961 / MECH-17 2070. For example Amazon's P960ED includes Windows 10 ($80+), 16GB of ram ($85+) and a 500GB ssd ($120+) for the same $1529 base price.

3. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. TomoPrime

Reputations:
    so many new skus it’s crazy.

5. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That MECH-17 is the the cheapest 17in RTX2070 model I've seen, are there really other cheaper models out there?
    What is the Clevo/Sager/EVOC model name equivalent anyways?

6. TomoPrime

Reputations:
  7. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And one review for the Aorus is finally out - in Spanish. Apologies for the Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/transl...2/09/gigabyte-aorus-15-w9-review/&prev=search

Things are looking good. They conclude by giving a rating of "Recomendado," although the author notes the downside of "noise refrigeration" and warns us to "beware of the bleeding." And the price is of course a little high, or as the author describes, it "certainly is not turkey mucus."

Entertaining Google translations aside, it's probably about what I expected, though on the side of "noisy" and "questionable battery life."

So it's interesting to see the Eluktronics Mech-17 brought up. I nearly picked up the Mech-15, except the fan noise was so bad it would have made it impractical to bring the laptop to meetings. I don't know if the noise problem was mirrored in the 17" chassis, but 17" is very large and cumbersome. If I could get over these two hangups, then it would be a great alternative to the Aorus.

As for the Clevo? No reviews in sight. Is anyone buying this thing yet???

A_Grounded_Pilot likes this.
  8. TomoPrime

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing any bench numbers given for the Aorus? Gigabytes unboxing video claimed some insane firestrike numbers. I would love to confirm.

The Mech-17 is still being dialed in. For example Game Center isn’t yielding fan control yet. Timespy number look great between 7100 - 7400 and the card isn’t recognized! It weighs about 5lbs for a 17” which is great but larger to hold and the keyboard looks ideal for office work. I am still waiting for Clevo reviews too. It has a silent mode to lower thermals with longer battery life and lower clock speeds which is 20 DB noise on fans. Some details mentioned on metabox listing. Another thought is to also look at the new 4.6lb Acer Triton 500. I would like to know if there is a battery drain issue with these lower wattage power supplies.

9. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look at the EVOC PB51EF from HID, they have the 2060 version.

10. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TomoPrime: There were some benches at the profesionalreview.com site. Time Spy, e.g., was 6117 for their Aorus 15, which has the 2060. About where one would expect it to be, I imagine.

RMXO: I'd love to know more about the PB51EF, but alas, no reviews are out yet. People (who are definitely not me) need to start buying these Clevos and testing them extensively!

TomoPrime likes this.