Which virus protection should I get?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Captain Picard, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    You are right about Avira being the best free AV out there.
    If you want to pay for AV/full security suite, check Avira Premium, NOD32/ESET and KAV/KIS 2009.
    Make sure to download and use/test their trial versions before purchasing and then make up your mind.
    If you simply want virus protection that's good/the best, use Avira free version.
    Why? Well, because it is actually the best. Check the AV-Comparatives test results posted earlier in this thread.
    Check other threads and use the search function to find more specific information on this program.
    Cheers.

2. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I were to pay for avira should I get premium or premium security suite? The more expensive version includes a firewall, a gamemode, antidrive-by, and more. Is it a good idea to pay the extra money for it? Will the avira firewall be better than windows? You aren't suppose to use multiple firewalls, correct?

Thanks!

3. Captain Picard

Reputations:
    Also, I'd just like to confirm I can use multiple spyware removals, but not multiple av's?

4. Creer

Creer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

in my opinion better buy Premium version of Avira.
    Security Suite has implement Firewall but this FW is weaker (look here http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php )
    I have Online Armor (paid) with Avira Premium and everything works like a charm. Very light and strong configuration.

5. Captain Picard

Reputations:
    Windows Live OneCare is the only windows title I saw on that site. Is that what the standard windows firewall is?

6. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if Windows firewall will be better than Avira premium but why would you want to pay when you get get nearly as good a "suite" for free?

You can have more than 1 on demand AS scanners, but should only run one at a time. You should only have one real time AV, or antispyware program, running at any one time

7. billy_b0b

billy_b0b Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I say go with Kaspersky. A little on the advanced-user side but offers awesome protection, flexibility in controlling the toolsuite, and the best detection rate and signature publishing rate out there.

Worth the $70 for it. Three machine, one-year license.

8. Signal2Noise

Signal2Noise Über-geek.

Reputations:
    +1 for KIS. I've been using KIS for two years. And I picked up KIS today at my LCS for $39 CDN ($40 off retail until Sept. 4) for my parents-in-law computers. So shop around for pricing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.