Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tech Ingredients has some great chemistry and industrial engineering videos. Here's his take on DIY thermal paste. Interesting to see what he sees as key success factors.

dmanti, joluke, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  2. raad11

raad11 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, are there any comparisons, from a site or channel, that include TFX, SYY157 and both Kryonauts? As well as MX4, Gelid, etc ? The Tom's Hardware one is weird.

Hell, or even from a forum user? Rooter1234, do you have like a spreadsheet of all your testing?

Lol, it's endearing though.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Albestech tested all except Kryonaut Extreme: https://albestech.com/migliore-pasta-termica-2021/

And except SYY-157 all of them are included in my old test: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...and-liquid-metal.806840/page-48#post-11084441

SYY-157 would go into first or second place in this test, probably second place. Several of the newer high performing ones are missing there though, like FuzeIce Plus or Akasa T5 ProGrade Plus. I did a lot of tests in the summer time, unfortunately because of the different ambient temperatures I'm not making a spreadsheet of this. There is at least one reference paste in all of them, mostly SYY-157 because it's cheap and easy to apply.

Vasudev and dmanti like this.
  4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    upload_2021-11-12_20-3-55.png

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BL3SCWH

So, I ordered these graphite pads for my server rebuild "12700K" from the ground up other than the HDD's for the NAS portion. I'd been using these on my current 8700K build for ~ 2 years now w/o nay hiccups. "idle" @ 90F / load up to 120F. Figured I would give them a shot in the laptop since they're cheaper in the 2-pack vs a single. I diced it up into 1/4's and stuck one on each BGA.

I haven't done any system tweaking to get the CPU higher like shown in the snapshot above. It seems since switching from Antec paste to the "pad" has boosted the CPU from 3-3.25Ghz to nearly 4Ghz. I'm also noticing a delta between cores now up to 15C under "idle" with Chrome open w/ tons of tabs.

. upload_2021-11-12_20-15-23.png

Looking at the ARK page it seems there's a bit more under the hood to be reaped up to 4.5Ghz. I'll take the roughly 0.75Ghz bump though for very little effort and a quieter fan experience.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since so many focus on the GPU temps as well and I'm more focused on the CPU someone reminded me to check the GPU temps as well. With these graphite pads it seems to be holding up well under a game load @ 80C / idle @ 40C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this snap I boosted the fans to 100% to see how low both would go and this is the result. In a "silent" setting though with fans @ ~30% the temps are slightly higher but, very quiet.
    [​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  6. BeanZ_UK

BeanZ_UK Newbie

Reputations:
    So I changed thermal pads on the 3080 Founders Edition and used paste Sy 157 recommended as its thicker and better for GPU and not effect with pump out , thanks to @Falkentyne that I found out about this paste , I havent really tested the card fully but quick benchmark it seems very good so far ran quick test below compared to stock will test more when get time GPU is now idling at 25c without the fans spinning I do remember this being 31c with stock paste

I did put the tube in boiling water also used hair dryer and still found it difficult to spread like it was mostly getting stuck on the spreader but I figured out technique with trial and error just need to apply more pressure when applying and slowly work across the chip

Also @Falkentyne I've seen your posts about the thermal pads to use on founders cards, and I recently just got an 3080fe and the 2mm gelid extreme pads didnt work just gave high gpu and hotspot reading hitting 100c in few seconds starting benchmarks , so used 1.5mm gelid ultimate instead on all of the die side and seems to have solved it . I do feel nvidia has changed something in the recent heatsinks but no one confirmed either way what it actually is

Room temp for both was 25c and running card at stock

this is with stock pads/paste
    I remember the vram was around 94c

[​IMG]

This is with 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate pads with SY 157 thermal paste delta staying solid 10c difference GPU temp mostly stayed 71-72c with odd peaks to 73c. Vram stayed 82-84c
    lower temps while the fans spin lower , will be fun playing with undervolting seeing how the results are at stock
    [​IMG]

Thanks Again :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Vasudev, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Thermalright Intros CFX Thermal Compound with Wide Temperature Range techpowerup.com

Thermalright today introduced the CFX thermal compound. The compound offers a wide temperature range of -50°C to 150°C, while being electrically non-conductive. Its conductivity is rated at 12 W/m-K, with a thermal impedance of 0.009 °C-cm²/W, and has a specific gravity of 2.3 at 25°C. The company didn't mention the composition or viscosity of the paste. It ships in 2 g syringes and includes a spatula, so it could be more on the viscous side. The company didn't reveal pricing or availability.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.thermalright.com/product/cfx/

Vasudev, Clamibot, Rooter1234 and 4 others like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan Should I add TG Carbonaut or IC Thermal pad as potential alternative for apply and forgot thermal paste having downsides like LM?

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You can add TG Carbonaut / IC Thermal pad but put in a note about worse thermal results vs. the better thermal pastes. The only advantage is longevity.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Also it only works best on lapped heatsinks and may not even produce contact on some really uneven heatsinks causing problems with hotspots.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.