Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only place I know is ebuy7 in China. Paste: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/631006993629
    and what I like better, in sheets, https://www.ebuy7.com/item/651662476286

The paste you are supposed to wait 15 hours after applying for it to cure before putting the sink back on. The paste is very hard to spread. Its thick like half chewed day old bubble gum. The sheet is already cured and you can cut to size. The paste took a month to get because of slow shipping option. The sheet took 10 days by fedex 2-3 day.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Falkentyne likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How well does it perform? I assume it lasts close to forever...

3. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Many of us have learned after repasting the new Legion 7's, nothing else works as good except LM and we screwed up. :D Its also hard getting the thermal module installed back that satisfies other paste. I think I read somewhere the 7950SP is supposed to last 8 years. You can go to the product page and click the translate button on the images and it has more info. Temps were great before repasting so I thought it would be even better with after market paste. Wrong.

4. Fuuji

Fuuji Newbie

Reputations:
    I was looking for some thermalpaste with a good viscosity to apply on 2 notebooks and i found the thermalright TFX and the zezzio ZT-GX but both are four times more expensive that the deepcool g15 ( g40) here, the g15 one is good enough right?

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Zezzio ZT-GX is the same paste as SYY-157. Not quite as thick as TFX.
    I got 6 grams of it for $12.00 (USD), which was close to the same price for SYY-157.
    SYY keeps going on sale for 8 grams for $12.88 (sometimes $11.00) and is usually $13.66.
    ZT-GX is back up to $17.99 right now. I bought the ZT-GX since at the same price per gram as SYY-157 I had nothing to lose.

I would get the SYY-157 if you can get 8 grams of that for cheaper.

I can tell no difference between SYY and Zezzio ZT-GX in either fingerprint smear test or temp behavior. But TFX is a world apart from them in thickness. TFX actually feels more like a very wet thermal putty rather than paste, unless you get a syringe that is wetter than usual. Only Thermagic ZF-EX is like this (they may or may not be the same exact paste, but seeing how expensive 2g of ZF-EX is on Aliexpress, it might be).

How are TFX and Zezzio the same price for you? Where are you buying it from?
    On Amazon, 6g of TFX (6.2g) is triple the price of 6g of SYY-157 and more than double the price of ZT-GX.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BVPWZBT/

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Paste,8-8w-Heatsink-Compound-Conductive/dp/B079DQS77Q/

SYY was even giving away gift cards if you left a review of their paste on their website, along with a picture of the review, then they would give you a $10 gift card you could use to buy even MORE paste :) Not sure if they're doing that, but you can see a ton of people are buying it. It seems to be outselling Arctic MX-5. Seems like they started selling it early January this year, a bit before MX-5 came out, but they're just killing it in sales.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. Fuuji

Fuuji Newbie

Reputations:
    Its a shame that i cant buy from amazon because the import fees and shipping price is so damn expensive its like 2 or 3x times the price of product, so usually i buy things from aliexpress and shopee( online store from singapure), with coupons i can get the deepcool g15 for like 2$ so i wanna know if this one is good enough.

7. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Deepcool G40 worked really good on my notebook and G15 is the same just a lower capacity version. The other Deepcool pastes Z10 and EX750 are very good as well, Z10 is the highest viscous from them. Performance didn't really differ though. Maxtor CTG8 is another good high viscous option, all available on shopee.

Fuuji likes this.
  8. Fuuji

Fuuji Newbie

Reputations:
    I found the thermagic ZF-EX of 2g for like 3.5$ so i bought it :D , lets see if i can decrease the problem of the pump out effect that those two notebooks have, pausing for a moment to think all the thermalpastes I've used on them in the last few years have been low viscosity ones( mx-4, noctua nt-h1).

9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Where was it that cheap at?

10. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Looks like it was a placeholder price, it's down to 8€ and scheduled to be available on October 19th at Amazon. I hope it is not the same as SYY-157, I want something different. The youtube unboxing tester said same spreading as Mastergel Maker, on average 3-4 degrees cooler.

Falkentyne likes this.