Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. IamTechknow

IamTechknow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did a repaste on my 2.5 year old Clevo notebook! It originally had IC Diamond and I repasted it with IC Diamond lol. The original paste was very dry but there was an improvement so I'm happy about it. I'm most likely repeating what's been said here but it lasts a long time (2-5°C improvement from what I can tell so far) and works well for laptops!

I put some pictures of the repasting here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...en-owners-lounge.826239/page-47#post-11120300

FrozenLord, Papusan, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kryonaut worked better for me. I got quite a significant drop in temps. Since I didn't actually measure the drop, I can't tell you exactly how much it was, but I can tell you that I can actually run my i7 7700K at maximum stock speeds without thermal throttling now (with a little headroom left over), whereas before I had to underclock to 4 GHz just to barely stay under 100°C.

So in short, it allowed me to boost the all core speed by another 400 MHz without thermal throttling.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and Ashtrix like this.
  3. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:

Some folks mention KPx is better, some say TFX, some say Phobya, same for longevity lol. I think any of these three should be good for longevity in Desktop or Laptop. Ofc none of them will beat the trash paste used in virtually all GPUs, CPU dies in laptops and IHS for prebuilts and etc also CLC AIOs in terms of longevity. But those 3 will smash the factory paste in performance.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Papusan, Clamibot and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Some of them are available on US Amazon (SYY-157 or FuzeIce Plus) and yes they are new except for Cryorig. SYY-157 is a big seller on Amazon.

I purchased the Phobya because of his test....with poor results. His sample size is low anyways, he didn't test the newer ones. KPx should work great for me because it should have a high enough viscosity and is performing really good in so many desktop and notebook tests, this is probably the last of the better known top rated I haven't tried yet. There is not so much left, the most promising to me at the moment is the brand new CryoFuze from Coolermaster, because the previous MasterGel Maker performed really good. If the new one is a real improvement it's great. I hope it's easier to spread and as viscous or more viscous than the old one.

Ashtrix, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Rooter1234

Reputations:
    There is a first unboxing video from the Cryofuze on youtube. Unfortunately he didn't spread it with the spatula and he covered the tube spreading with his hand mostly. It seems like it's a thicker paste from what I can see.

6. Rooter1234

Reputations:
    I have received the yellow Gelid GC-Extreme and finished testing both Gelid as well as SYY-157 just for reference from a top paste. The yellow Gelid performs worse (tried it two times and this is the better result from the yellow I'm posting). Viscosity the same, no difference to me. The blue is noticeably stickier and more difficult to spread, so yes the paste seems to differ, just not with the result I was hoping for though. I can't know if this is a bad yellow batch I have, Luumis blue 3.5g Gelid worked better than the yellow (10g). For me it doesn't matter anyways, viscosity is too low. There is no chance it can reach the best pastes on my device.

SYY-157
    69/77/71/74

Gelid GC-Extreme yellow
    75/83/79/82

Gelid GC-Extreme blue
    72/81/74/77

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Rooter1234

Reputations:

There is a better spreading video on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002831278538.html

Cryofuze is a high viscous paste which is good news.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That looks a lot like SYY-157. If it is the same paste it's an extremely expensive version of it.

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. vincent9669

vincent9669 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys i have a gaming laptop Asus S17 QHD i9 11900h and 3080, when i bought it a boutique pc builder offered free repaste and i was happy and took the option, now a month later my GPU is throtthling with hotspot in the high 90s... (i can't send it back because the boutique is in the US and i'm in France right now.. and shipping is horrible)

The CPU is liquid metal from factory but the GPU is normal paste, i'm considering to apply liquid metal to the GPU but at the same time i ordered some SYY 157, the dissasembly seems a bit tricky and i would like to know what you guys think i should do ? Go straight LM to both GPU and CPU or keep the config with LM on CPU and SYY 157 on GPU.

Thank you boys

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You may want to read this.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...90-owners-club.1753930/page-912#post-28875377
    https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...90-owners-club.1753930/page-912#post-28875386
    https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...90-owners-club.1753930/page-912#post-28875404

Also can you try Honeywell 7950SP? Where can you get this? (in USA)?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021