Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jff007 and Falkentyne like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You seen this paste?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BVPWZBT/

Seems to have the same specs as TFX. But for 1/4th of the price (at least on Amazon)
    For $11, might as well see what the hell is in this paste. Better than spending $39.85 on 6.2g of TFX if it's the same stuff.
    But I'm still unsure whether even Thermagic ZF-EX and TFX are the exact same. I think @seanwee said that they feel and appear the same but they spread 'slightly different', yet I've seen two TFX syringes (both 6.2g) spread different--one was super dry and required to be boiled first, the other was definitely wetter and spread almost as easily as SYY-157. (between "hard to spread" TFX and easy to spread SYY), but still had the same unique TFX properties (you can tell the properties by how it coats your finger when you wipe compress it on your finger).

Going to guess it's either TFX, SYY-157 or ZF-EX relabeled from the same factory that supplies one of those. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Atma likes this.
  3. Rooter1234

Reputations:
    I think I have seen this and my first thought was this is a TFX rebrand because of the specs. The seller is located in Shenzhen. If the Thermagic ZF-EX isn't the same it could be interesting because in some youtube tests ZF-EX performed a bit better than TFX. My next paste will be most likely the new Akasa T5 Pro-Grade+, it's available in some european countries.

Falkentyne likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I got the Zezzio paste and it appears to be 100% identical to SYY-157. I don't have any way to test it right now (Can't be bothered cleaning LM off my MXM 1070 and my 3090 already has TFX on it).
    with the fingertip test, it is 100% absolutely identical in behavior, feel and wetting to SYY-157. So I'm 100% sure it's the same. Interesting that the same factory would have two different sellers in that case. Also I have no idea why Zezzio labels this as 14.3 w/mk (same as TFX) while SYY labels it as 15.7 w/mk.

I noticed that with Thermagic ZF-EX, the consistency is varied. Out of 6 tubes, some tubes were almost completely dried out (think of TFX in its worst state) and some were wetter like you'd expect from TFX, and of course thicker than SYY. May be something to do with the 2g tubes. Though I did have three 6.2g tubes of TFX and one of them was really dry (performed well once you pre-heated it), the last one was Nan's Gaming Gear was really fluid and almost the same consistency, but very slightly thicker, as SYY-157, and the first one (last year) was in between the two.

One thing I noticed with ZF-EX and the thicker TFX, compared to SYY-157, when you do the fingertip spread on your fingers test, ZF-EX and TFX leave a 'thicker' coat, which you can tell easily by looking at the edge of the paste on your fingers. SYY-157 and Zezzio leave a thinner coat.

Note that I didn't really pay attention to the wettest TFX, and I wish I did, but I could have sworn it left a thinner coat, similar to SYY-157, while still being slightly thicker. All I remember is that wettest TFX still felt a bit stickier than SYY (Just not as sticky as the dryer TFX samples).

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    So I tried to register on that portuguese forum site thing and then it said i was 'banned for spam' even though I never was even able to post anything to begin with, as it said my account was awaiting administrator approval. But instead of being approved, I was banned.

Trash site...I was even able to register on hardwareluxx and even Russian sites before...oh well.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Rooter1234

Reputations:
    Strange specifications for a SYY-157 clone paste but it explains the cheap price.

Did you get banned immediately after the registration or some time later?

7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Like an hour after I registered, as I was "waiting for moderator approval for account activation". I wanted to comment on tubes of "ZF-EX" inconsistency. Never even got a chance.

Rooter1234 and Vasudev like this.
  8. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    TFX is about 10 bucks for 2g for me, ZF-EX half that. And yes they spread slightly diferently with TFX being a bit more sticky iirc

Rooter1234 likes this.
  9. Rooter1234

Reputations:

Did you see any performance difference between the two?

10. raad11

raad11 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just ran 3DMark to test temps on GPU (SYY157, still doing well 6 weeks later!) and the CPU actually broke 8000 TimeSpy CPU score with the lower ACLL setting (Vcore offset in XTU used to be -0.130v and now it's -0.050v, which isn't exactly equivalent and achieves a slightly lower resulting voltage than before, but it runs at it stable whereas it couldn't before). That's about a 150-200 avg increase and puts it in 8950HK range.

The graphite pad is also still holding up, temps are stable.

I should probably oc the GPU as well but I've got the habit of trying to wring every ounce of performance out of my CPUs as possible and babying the video cards (I had a string of them go bad, back to back in the early part of last decade).

By the way guys, I know this is a notebook forum but which paste do you think would be best for a desktop CPU? Specifically a high temperature application that is routinely 80+? I put Kryonaut on my OC-ed 9900K but I don't stress test it often so it stays cool during normal use. But let's say it was to go on a 5900X or 5950X which routinely get hot as hell because of the way they boost. I remember reading Kryonaut, despite being so runny, is resistant to pump out (and a desktop CPU is obviously going to be way flatter than a laptop's) but degrades over 80 C. So is there something that performs as well as Kryonaut and is also resistant to pump out, and will also not degrade at up to 90-95 C? I had IC Diamond 7 on my 9900K but that lasted for about 1.5 years before degrading, possibly because the paste was a very old tube that was opened several years ago. Will SYY157 be a good candidate? Or should I stick with Kryonaut?

Falkentyne likes this.