Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. L0wpull

L0wpull Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's a 2018 machine.... chance of that is slim, but I've asked. They are unable to provide the memory at the 2133Mhz speed it was supposed to have, and since they underclocked the FSB it never quite reaches 4.0Ghz either. It's late, but I'm pushing... It was bought direct from manufacturer, I've asked for at least a credit note for the money I spent to put towards a new machine which isn't a hot mess :realmad:

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They really should do that.
    And while manufacturers are perfectly happy taking your money... they don't really like to admit any faults or doing you any favours.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you can continue to use this machine as is (Even at slightly diminished frequencies), do so, and bide your time.
    I wouldn't recommend buying a new machine anytime soon (at least not until 2023 or 2024) if you can hold off... this is mainly due to the pandemic/lockdown and increased demand for hardware which is driving up prices - not unless there is an amazing sale of a much better machine that would give you a decent and affordable upgrade in the interim.

My personal rule is to use technology/hw I originally bought for about 4 - 5 years until I decide to completely upgrade (with some upgrades in between).
    Unless of course you have an extremely modular system allowing you to install newest hw (depending on what you need) to extend its overall lifespan well beyond that time frame (or at least a few years beyond it).

At any rate, 4-5 years timeframe (With some minor upgrades in between like storage and RAM perhaps) would provide more time for you to experience a greater jump in performance/efficiency when you do decide to finally buy a new machine.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. L0wpull

Reputations:
    Hear ya 5/5.. I have little use for a mobile platform right now tbh, I've returned to my true love building monster towers, can't see myself needing anything beyond a decent Ipad for a while yet.
    Quite excited about the APU's about to arrive from Intel and AMD with palatable graphics onboard at acceptable power ratings, holding off for 10-12 months minimum should make a real difference in bang for buck..

Clamibot likes this.
  5. L0wpull

Reputations:
    Hey guys :) haven't gotten around to sorting out the fiery tablet yet and getting my cash back, been too busy upgrading the desktop while teaching my nephew to build, shi!t is getting real with water flowing n stuff :elvis:
    However.... I've had to do a fair bunch of repastes - my old i7-940, my nephew's 4790K, my very old 9800GTX+Black, my "new" 8700K and since that turned out to be a _very_ decent performer it's coming back from a delid and copper IHS install tomorrow so that needs a paste too. And my gold chip strix 2080 ti is definitely starting to feel the pain of the 6 world best benches i've put in hahahaha... SO that'll need new paste soon too.. for a while before it starts to rain ;)
    I've used up most of my Phobya NanoGrease Extreme on all of this different silicone, and just subjectively I gotta say I like it a lot. It's very solid stuff, takes some working but stays put nicely, has given me solid, reliable results, doesn't dribble everywhere and heavy spatula work satisfies my ocd..‍o_O
    I sadly have no comparison to make with whatever was on each of those before since I either don't know, or for the tablet the HW is different and I no longer care - just want this device gone and refunded anyway, learned my lesson with that format.
    It might be overkill for these applications, all of them have decent pressure nice flat HS, but it's been nice to work with anyway..:vbthumbsup:
    I could either use up the last of it for the upcoming repastes, or I could go ahead and grab some of the TFX that's been tempting me given the results and discussion..
    so, for those that know it well, @Rooter1234 @Mr. Fox @Papusan ? is TFX overkill for good pressure/good contact CPU/GPU application? Any reason I shouldn't use it here? The cost difference in all these is pretty irrelevant, especially over usage time and given how much i'm spunking on other hardware anyway..:eek:
    The 8700K is gonna spend 24h back on air cooler with NGEx for direct comparison benches before and after the copper relid, then it's going under water. Is the TFX ok for Copper on Copper under a waterblock? If my temps go over 60 I'm probably then gonna go LM for that, dark side beckons, but until then would TFX be a good choice for all these applications, including the ****ty laptop, or should I steer clear for some reason?
    I'm keen to find 1 paste I can use everywhere at above 0 up to 100, and be done with it, except where I decide to go LM. Easier to order and keep the stuff fresh.
    Thanks for any input you can give me, as always :)

J

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    Papusan, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    TFX should be fine. It should perform very similar to Phobya NanoGrease Extreme. I don't think there is such a thing as "overkill" when it comes to thermal management unless you are talking about cost. (It would would be overkill to pay extra for something that doesn't work as well, but not necessarily if there is a benefit such as lower temperature or enhanced durability associated with the added cost.) Phobya is going to work well as soon as you apply it. It think the general consensus on the TFX is you will see better thermals after a day or two of usage, so maybe hold off on rendering a verdict on whether or not TFX works well for at least 48 to 72 hours.

Papusan, Vasudev and L0wpull like this.
  7. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    I've been using TFX for a month or so now, still as good as when it was first applied. I didn't see any temperature improvement over time though but its still one of the best thermal pastes i've ever used thermally speaking.

Papusan, Vasudev, Falkentyne and 2 others like this.
  8. L0wpull

Reputations:
    :vbthumbsup: TY :)

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. L0wpull

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

1 LM copper top relid and this mofo got some big brass balls on it... 1.456V.. for pushing records only...
    53x 1.39vin 1.41vcore fine for a good bench or 3
    52x 1.34vin 1.385vcore acceptable to cut down specific workloads
    50x 1.29vin 1.32vcore - this will be my daily driver :twitchy:
    stock auto 1.17

All these are provisional, untuned, on a POS surface clip AC Freezer 13 CO with 4 pipes and 100mm fan.
    The NanoGrease Extreme is the only "premium" part in use :p
    Apart from obvious easy wins it's just set multi and push V until it passes 30mins of non-avx prime, past the hottest 4k hump...
    Tomorrow i'm shoving this under water i'll see if I can stabilise the top at lower voltage or maybe hit 5.5 under 1.5v :rolleyes:

Think I accidentally picked up a fairly decent chunk of glass :vbbiggrin:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, that seems like a really good chip, bro

Vasudev, L0wpull and tilleroftheearth like this.