Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. peterthedoor

peterthedoor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a syringe of TFX, will update you guys on the result once i'll put it in and test it.
    Is there any "break in" period for thermal paste? Or can i benchmark straight away?

2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends on the paste. Some do and some don't.

You can benchmark straight away with this paste, but it does have a curing time of around 2 days if you want the best results.

3. peterthedoor

Reputations:
    I'll wait... to be honest, i'd prefer to not reopen it in a while

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good choice.:D

5. L0wpull

L0wpull Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Rooter1234 @Tech Junky @Mr. Fox thanks for your replies above :)

I had to pull the trigger on something quick that day so I grabbed a small NanoGrease for now, had the fastest delivery, just enough to test hard for a while then go for another one to test and have enough to switch back depending which I prefer :) - I'll be trying out the TFX next as per you recommendation, thank you, and if need be after that some IC diamond :vbthumbsup:
    By the time I did the mainboard swap I have the impression the Kryonaut in the tablet was already starting to degrade a little - 1-2°c wider readings between cores during heat up to max (was max 5 now sometimes seeing 7) and 1-2°c more at some loads, bearing in mind the machine was being tortured up to PROCHOT for hours a day.. Visually it seemed fine, having pasted a nice covering layer with the spatula it looked good on removal - it may be that fit with the crap tripod isnt as bad a I feared, but the regular high temps would make the grizzly unusable long-term anyway - extensive testing shows the thermal solution of the unit can only handle ... wait for it.. 23W sustained :tears:

Thanks for the tips all, I'll be torturing the new board with proper logging (6 spreadsheets and counting...) and report back at least on the fresh NanoGrease vs the Kryonaut just on temps side.>>
    On application side, the grease is real thick, very comforting tbh given the tripod, not as easy as the GK but not that hard.

As planned the GK has gone onto the i7-965EE, under a TrueBlack120 with a single Noctua NF-A12x25 on push. It's running a steady OC @ 1.4V, 36°C idle at every single step up (!!!) and didn't go over 84° on prime torture when I was benching and tuning the OC. It'll never work that hard again so I doubt it'll pass 80°. GK put to good use :)

Meanwhile, with a little forensic investigation, it seems I may have uncovered a bit of a scandal.. Lenovo quietly hobbling a whole product line to mitigate bad cooling design, systems now running well under spec thru unannounced BIOS changes, undervclocking and undervolting the FSB, force setting RAM to run slower etc etc.. might be juicy once I finish assembling the last evidence, just need to comb through a BIOS ROM dump to confirm, I'll post up hopefully soon :))

Cheers, happy pasting to all :)
    J

Deks, Rooter1234 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have added IC Diamond 24 and updated my TFX result with a fresh new paste, I was able to achieve a better result on core 1 and 3. IC Diamond 24 is a really good one, second best result behind TFX. IC Diamond 24, MasterGel and Kyronaut Extreme are really close. I have to say IC Diamond is a really thick paste, however it's easier to spread than the TFX for me because the TFX paste tends to stick on the spatula.

1. Thermalright TFX--------------------------------------86.0 degrees (83/90/85/86)
    2. IC Diamond 24-----------------------------------------87.5 degrees (83/92/86/89)
    3. CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker Nano-------------87.75 degrees (83/93/86/89)
    4. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme----------------87.75 degrees (83/93/86/89)
    5. Noctua NT-HT2-----------------------------------------88.25 degrees (83/93/87/90)
    6. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut----------------------------88.5 degrees (85/93/87/90)
    7. Thermalright TF8--------------------------------------89.25 degrees (85/95/87/90)
    8. Alpenföhn Permafrost 2------------------------------89.5 degrees (86/95/87/90)
    9. Prolimatech PK-3--------------------------------------91.0 degrees (87/96/89/92)
    10. IONZ IZP14----------------------------------------------91.25 degrees (87/97/89/92)
    11. EC 360 Ruby--------------------------------------------91.25 degrees (88/96/89/92)
    12. MARS Gaming MT1----------------------------------91.5 degrees (87/97/90/92)
    13. Gelid GC-Extreme-------------------------------------92.0 degrees (88/97/89/94)
    14. Alphacool Subzero Thermal Grease---------------92.0 degrees (89/96/91/92)
    15. Phobya NanoGrease Extreme-----------------------92.0 degrees (88/97/90/93)
    16. Arctic MX-5----------------------------------------------93.5 degrees (88/100/91/95)
    17. EVGA Frostbite 2---------------------------------------93.5 degrees (88/100/91/95)
    18. AABCOOLING Thermal Grease 5------------------94.0 degrees (90/100/91/95)
    19. Arctic MX-4-----------------------------------------------94.25 degrees (89/100/91/97)
    20. Antec Formula X----------------------------------------94.75 degrees (92/100/92/95)

Dell Inspiron 15 7506 2-in-1 (ultra performance mode, max fan speed, desktop mode on a desk)
    i7-1165G7 @2800 Mhz (Turbo Off)
    10 minutes Prime95 Small FFTs
    ambient temperature: 23 degrees

triturbo, Falkentyne, Vasudev and 5 others like this.
  7. peterthedoor

Reputations:
    Just started playing after the repaste... it's awesome. Lost 20°c while gaming on fallout 76, now it confortably sits under 65°.
    Way better than when it was new. Thanks @seanwee for suggesting using tfx

Deks, seanwee and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've gotten this thermal paste too.
    My PH517-61 (in the signature) temperatures went up by about 10 degrees from their usual threshold... probably due to extensive usage... or more likely dust.
    I have to open the thing and check things out...
    Will probably repaste with TFX the 2700 and Vega 56 while I'm in :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  9. L0wpull

L0wpull Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bastards swapped out my dead mobo with a reconditioned Rev.A dated 01/17. Power delivery components have lower ratings than on the board they took out - result I've lost 5-15% performance keeping under the thermal limit of the cooling "solution". Fighting with them now, it'll take a while, but obviously any benches I try to run now can't be compared with previous ones. Crying. Refund please..

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Either that, or invoke consumer rights with the shop you got the laptop from, and have them give you the refund.
    I had a BAD experience with Asus and their GL702ZC (Ryzen 1700 and RX 580) where the machine kept frying itself after about a month of use. Asus merely chose to replace the motherboard, and after the first repair, right on schedule, a month in, the same problem happens again (aka computer fried itself).
    Asus refused to replace it, kept insisting on repairing it, refused to refund me (saying its not their responsibility and that I need to take it up with the retailer).
    So, I went to the retailer, invoked the consumer rights act, showed them they sold me a machine not fit for purpose, and got a FULL refund (this is about 3 to 6 months after initially buying the machine).
    I was told I could get a partial refund, but apparently, all the nagging I did and threatening them with legal action... this apparently got them to give me a full refund instead (obviously, you need to be diplomatic about it, otherwise, they will of course ignore you).

L0wpull likes this.