Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. I'll check out both and decide which ever is more cost effective.

Ah I did not realize that those two are applying tension. After I repasted and threw everything back together I felt as if the heatsink just sat on top. However, if I press and apply some downward pressure on the heatsink right on top of the screw hole where the springload one sits, I can hear and feel the heatsink pushing down. In this case, not sure if I'm flexing the motherboard or if the heatsink is actually being pressed upon.
    Thank you for pointning this out.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm a Thermalright TFX fanboy. This is the best paste ever. I think it's better than Phobya Nanogrease Extreme (alphacool subzero). And TM's w/mk for it is pretty accurate. Nanogrease extreme is nowhere near 16 w/mk. I found it to be worse than Kryonaut in a direct comparison.

TFX seems to have very long durability:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...ivity-of-14-2-w-mk.435511/page-2#post-5861772

3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No problem. And this is why I advise applying some downward pressure on the heatsink when screwing it in.

4. Snow1

Snow1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I just finished a tube of GC-Extreme and am looking for something with more longevity. I see TFX and New MasterGel Maker are modern recommendations. Is either of these any better than the other price differences aside?

Thanks! (I mostly re-paste MacBooks, don't know whether that affects the recommendation any insofar as heatsink or clamp quality.)

5. whiterose

Reputations:
    The last time I opened up the laptop to repaste, I made sure I applied downward pressure on the heatsink when screwing it and also downward pressure on the screws, so much that I almost stripped the cheap screws used in here. I will purchase a better thermal paste from Micro Center today if I can find some of the recommended ones in this thread.

I just ran some AIDA64's system stability test and the thing is, without GPU usage, the CPU sits at 75-80*C with turbo boost at 3.5GHz.
    With the GPU at 100% usage, it will raise up to high 80s, occasionally hitting 94*C before throttling down. Without the GPU being used, the CPU uses about 37-40W of power.

With the GPU in use - the CPU pulls in about 28W. The core temperatures are also in range with the research I've done. Core 1 and 3 runs cooler at about 4-6*C than the rest of the cores.

Now here's my theory, the heatsink is saturated with heat from both the GPU and CPU and is not cooling fast enough even with 'Turbo Fan' on mode.
    With the GPU usage at 100*C, the CPU hits and stays at the upper 80s C, while GPU is at no usage, the CPU tends to run a lot cooler at 75-80*C.

Do you think this theory is correct or even somewhat plausible?

6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted the Cpu? If not do that. As well uncheck the BD-PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop to see if throttling point for the Cpu can be raised.

Vasudev and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  7. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Prolimatech PK-3 and Noctua NT-HT2 are not that bad on my laptop, however they can't match the TFX and Coolermaster. So for me...

1. Thermalright TFX/Coolermaster MasterGel Maker (2017)
    2. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut/Thermalright TF8/Noctua NT-HT2/Prolimatech PK-3
    3. EC 360 Ruby/IONZ IZP14/Alphacool Subzero/Phobya NanoGrease Extreme
    4. Gelid GC-Extreme/Arctic MX4/Thermalright CF III

I see only two potential thermal paste left who could match or beat the TFX/Coolermaster on my laptop, it's the Kingpin KPx and Thermagic ZF-EX. Unfortunately both are not directly available in my country.

Normimb and 0lok like this.
  8. whiterose

Reputations:
    Yes I have. That's one of the first things I've did plus another -50mV in the bios.

Attached a screenshot of my throttlestop screen. I've been stable on -125mV on the core and -100mV on the cache. I haven' touched the System Agent or IccMax settings since I don't think those are really necessary and haven't seen any change while adjusting those.

Attached Files:

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ZF-EX is apparently repackaged TFX. I have some of it and have it on my 3090 FE and another CPU.

Rooter1234 likes this.
  10. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

And same performance as TFX? I thought it's a slightly improved TFX because it's rated 14.6W/mk instead of 14.3W/mk. In this test performance differs over 90 degrees:

Falkentyne likes this.