Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just to make it clear, I never saw premature degradation with Kryonaut on desktop high pressure heatsinks. If there was it may have been like 2C over a few months. But I'm sure some people saw it.
    The premature degradation with Kryonaut happens with laptops, where you get skyrocketing temps after just a few days (with bad core temp deltas in addition to that). I saw that happen with both Kryonaut and Phobya. And initially when switching to liquid metal, it happened with LM also--namely it turning as hard as a rock in a few weeks, and that took a lot of work to address.

With LM on a desktop on top of the IHS and a high pressure mounting heatsink, with some extra prep work (foam dams, etc), this never happened at all.

Normimb likes this.
  2. Tiorvi

Tiorvi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I've purchased MSI GE66 I7-10875H (8core) recently and decided to repaste it with MX4 which is recommended all over the internet, at first temperatures were few degrees cooler than stock thermal paste and was able to maintain higher turbo boost before throttling... however after two weeks temperatures are far worse, I've repasted it again alas, after another two weeks temperatures are again high and can't maintain high turbo boost.

After encountering same issue two times in a row I decided to search the internet and looks like it's the famous pump-out...
    Read all this thread, but still can't find any conclusive information, what's regarded the "best" long lasting thermal paste with good thermal conductivity. (Don't want to risk it with LM while laptop is under warranty)
    I've ordered TG Kryonaut and Thermalright TFX for testing, hope one of them lasts longer than two weeks with MX4.

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me personally, I've never had a problem with Kryonaut pumping out in laptops. It works great, but my application on the CPU keeps burning up every 3 weeks. It degreades extremely quickly when exposed to temperatures above 176°F (80°C). That is why I switched to Phobya Nanogrease on the CPU side. I haven't repasted the GPU in 3 years and temps are still the same as day 1.

At first I thought I just got a crappy batch of Nanogrease paste, but I decided to perform an experiment to save myself the trouble of adding yet another paste to my collection. I have 2 CPU heatsinks for my Ranger. One I know is flat, and the other had pump out issues with the paste. With the latter heatsink, the paste would pump out after a week. I decided to swap the heatsinks for testing, and the paste has not pumped out yet on the first heatsink (after almost a month), leading me to believe the second one is warped.

In conclusion, no matter what paste you use, it will eventually pump out if your heatsink is warped, even on desktops. A solution to this would be to sand down your heatsink until it's flat, although you'd have to look really closely to see what regions are higher than others.

For me, Nanogrease performs better than Kryonaut by a little, but not much. There's a new Kryonaut extreme paste that looks like it has properties similar to Thermalright TFX. TFX is an extremely viscous paste, so it should be very resistant to pumping out.

Normimb likes this.
  4. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Not sure about Thermalright pastes but MX4 is the worst paste for laptop and thermal grizzly is bad for longevity as well.

The best paste I've used so far is New mastergel maker. The one that comes in a flat tube. Don't get old mastergel maker, that one sucks.

5. seanwee

Reputations:
    Well well well, looks like Asus IS using a nickel plated coldplate for their liquid metalled laptops.

Screenshot_20201026-094207.jpg

That spill though

Normimb, Vasudev, dmanti and 2 others like this.
  6. seanwee

Reputations:
    Foam dams

Screenshot_20201026-094649.jpg

Normimb, dmanti, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  7. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm currently testing several thermal pastes on my Dell 7506. The cooling setup on this device isn't great on this, the hottest core can reach over 90 degrees in Prime95 even without Turbo. The good thing is there is no thermal/power throttling on this device with disabled CPU Turbo, it holds 28W in Prime95 but runs hot. It's good for testing.

Thermalright TFX is the best so far followed by Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Coolermaster MasterGel Maker Nano. On the hottest core TFX is about 2-3 degrees cooler. Also tested Phobya NanoGrease Extreme and Gelid GC-Extreme but for some reason they don't work on this laptop, I tried several times but they are really bad even the MX-4 is better. I will check some more paste in the next days and weeks.

Normimb and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On Dell 5570 I did notice Cooler Master makergel nano had worse temps than stock toothpaste dell applied. I re-did it and applied light coat on both the die and heatsink and that did it.
    Cooler master maker gel nano has a new version that's like cotton candy and hard to spread. With this consistency, coating die and heatsink simply gave outrageous temps and had to use cotton earbuds to flatten the paste literally until a thin coat was formed. Took too much time though to figure it out!

9. Rooter1234

Rooter1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually the Cooler Master Makergel Nano I have is from 2017 and easy to spread, the other pastes are brand new (except from Thermalright CF III). No idea if Coolermaster changed something to the worse but might explain something.

10. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yes the new mastergel maker is more viscous compared to the older one but its a change for the better in my testing, longevity has improved and temps are also slightly better than the old one.

I think you guys are getting poor temps due to insufficient mounting pressure, I always provide extra pressure for 10 minutes before reassembling the laptop to make sure the paste is squished thin. When mounted right mastergel maker is comparable to kryonaut thermally but with better longevity.