Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    These test (CPU), they are putting all the pastes on the IHS which is still fine but isn't really where Metal shines (meh shines). Where the Metal spanks non-metal TIMs is with direct die applications - basically delidded CPUs. That graph would look very different if they tested under those conditions.

Vasudev and sicily428 like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @sicily428: Arctic and Arctic Silver paste are good for desktop with high mount pressure whereas for laptop they perform horribly. @judal57 can confirm this. I was repasting every 2 weeks because the paste degrades faster. I was acting like a nagware every time for @judal57 and he recommended me CM Maker Gel Nano, so far so good. After 3-4 months the paste performance is pretty good.
    @TBoneSan: I thought their testing methods were based on Delta T which is basically CPU temp minus ambient temps, so naturally I was confused with their graphs. And yes, delidding makes quite a difference of 5-10C. I saw derau8er doing it( on YT actually!)

Vistar Shook, TBoneSan and sicily428 like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You find all info yoo need here. Click the spoiler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thermal paste specifications for several brands
    Not much numbers for Noctua Nt-H1, but I can see some operate with 3.9 W / mK for Noctua NT-H1. This is probably quite correct. Since this thermal paste has pretty low viscosity numbers vs. the best. And always have yielded mediocre results for laptops.
    If you gathered up part One in Tomshardware's Thermal Paste Comparison... You would find their test procedure. Read page 7: Test Cycles, Test Duration and Settings:rolleyes:
    upload_2017-7-14_7-38-32.png

Read also one of my older post regarding thermal paste.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    jaug1337, Vasudev and sicily428 like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Changelog:
    -Added Phobya NanoGrease Extreme after suggested by @Mr. Fox

Vistar Shook, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    I don't see the big meaning/value with results from test procedures used here as we use totally different cooling for laptops. Have already said exactly the same for thermal paste results from special test bench before as well. People still forget the cooling used for different laptops varies heavily (are a lot worse than desktops better cooling and from test bench). From the TRIPOD mess to nice modded Clevo heatsink for the socket beast. @Mr. Fox @Phoenix @TBoneSan @Ashtrix @hmscott +++ all I haven't mentioned here, but not forgotten.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    TBoneSan, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think it is interesting to see the bar graphs with all of the stuff they tested. That being said, once you find the best thermal paste there is no reason to entertain the idea of using inferior products. Nothing matches the effectiveness or durability of liquid metal unless the heat sink fit is so sloppy it cannot be used.

What I find interesting is in the desktop environment it often makes little difference what paste is used--give or take 1°C to 3°C--because the quality of fit and the better coolers are of very high quality. Even crappy thermal paste does fairly well under the right conditions. But, laptops are a totally different story. There are many wildcards to contend with and inconsistent production quality control makes it even worse. You can have two identical laptops and one might run fairly cool and the other is a horrible nightmare because of sloppy manufacturing and half-assed engineering, and ridiculously low contact pressure.

TBoneSan, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Exactly Fox, but laptop owners tend to trust everything who comes from test roundup done on desktops and specially created test bench!! No in Hell Liquid metal only make 1-2 or 3 degrees difference vs. best conventional thermal paste used on laptops worse cpu cooling. Not even if you won the heatsink lottery. Aka a very good and even laptop Cpu heatsink from the factory.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Maybe more people will start paying attention and stop listening to friends on Facebook. It seems like laptop owners are sometimes the most hard-headed and least likely to pay attention to people that know more than they do.

Here is an easier to look at version with all three CPU temperature graphs from the tom'sHARDWARE article side-by-side. But, as previously stated, these results are not totally reliable for laptop owners because of wide variations in design, poor engineering and inconsistent production quality. It gives us a nice look at the best-case scenario. With laptops we are dealing with worst-case scenarios most of the time.
    [​IMG]

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    @Papusan: So, comparing low mount pressure on desktop isn't a direct comparison to BGA HSF?
    I remember my old desktop that was performing its peak performance even with pentium CPU and radeon 5750 which OC'ed like a beast. I can definitely relate some pastes like MX4, AS 5, AS Ceramique 2 ( which I used earlier) performed the best when CPU HSF had higher pressure during full load. At the same, those paste performed worse on BGA with insufficient pressure.
    LM was simply unbeatable and invincible.
    And @Papusan I got the point about these test mehods. I often forget about these in excitement. I always look at low HSF pressure performance which is the best comparison of how the paste behaves on a BGA HSF.

TBoneSan, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.