Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    These test (CPU), they are putting all the pastes on the IHS which is still fine but isn't really where Metal shines (meh shines). Where the Metal spanks non-metal TIMs is with direct die applications - basically delidded CPUs. That graph would look very different if they tested under those conditions.

Vasudev and sicily428 like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sicily428: Arctic and Arctic Silver paste are good for desktop with high mount pressure whereas for laptop they perform horribly. @judal57 can confirm this. I was repasting every 2 weeks because the paste degrades faster. I was acting like a nagware every time for @judal57 and he recommended me CM Maker Gel Nano, so far so good. After 3-4 months the paste performance is pretty good.
    @TBoneSan: I thought their testing methods were based on Delta T which is basically CPU temp minus ambient temps, so naturally I was confused with their graphs. And yes, delidding makes quite a difference of 5-10C. I saw derau8er doing it( on YT actually!)

Vistar Shook, TBoneSan and sicily428 like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You find all info yoo need here. Click the spoiler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thermal paste specifications for several brands
    Not much numbers for Noctua Nt-H1, but I can see some operate with 3.9 W / mK for Noctua NT-H1. This is probably quite correct. Since this thermal paste has pretty low viscosity numbers vs. the best. And always have yielded mediocre results for laptops.
    If you gathered up part One in Tomshardware's Thermal Paste Comparison... You would find their test procedure. Read page 7: Test Cycles, Test Duration and Settings:rolleyes:
    upload_2017-7-14_7-38-32.png

Read also one of my older post regarding thermal paste.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017 at 3:58 AM
    jaug1337, Vasudev and sicily428 like this.