Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Vasudev, Jul 11, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's why I'm not such a fan of high refresh rate monitors - it forces the FPS up to the edge of performance of the GPU / CPU, and ramps up the heat / power higher than I think needed to enjoy a game on a laptop. On a desktop you have more margin to work with as far as cooling options, so there it's much easier to manage.

There are some games that do benefit from highest refresh and lowest frame gaps for fast action, but that's only a small percentage of games, unless that's your field of interest.

I've helped guys tune their high FPS games with CPU affinity - right click on the details entry for the game manager (like Steam) and then every game started from it will inherit the Affinity setting. Here's a how to on Windows 7, but it's the same on Windows 10 except you need to go to the Details tab in task manager to see the process / affinity setting.
    https://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/37272/set-a-programs-affinity-in-windows-7-for-better-performance/

If the laptop can control hyper-threading in the BIOS - you want to turn hyperthreading off - it reduces heat more than it reduces performance - you can use affinity to uncheck half the threads, effectively reducing the hot cores putting out heat. It's very effective and hardly reduces the FPS. Then you don't have to fool around with CPU affinity - that's only when the BIOS doesn't let you disable hyperthreading.

Did you use brand new MX-4 2019 formula?, look at the link to it on Amazon and Newegg I put in my previous post - Edit2 - refresh the page to see it, and see if your tube matches - it's got a red band on it.
    MX-4 2019 Edition.jpg

10 Best Thermal Pastes 2019

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-thermal-pastes

You should be able to reduce your max refresh on a 200FPS-240FPS (360FPS) monitor too, set it 25% lower and see if that helps reduce temps enough - if you are running in the 90c range then you want to drop 10c or so into the 80c range. You may need to use a Custom Resolution setting to accomplish this, or use the steps available first to see if it helps - like 120hz, 144hz, a custom 180hz, etc.

Play around with those tips and the other ones, hopefully you can tune it so that if / when the temps start rising again when the MX-4 pumps out you can avoid repasting again as long as possible.

MX-4 is just a terrible paste. Anyone else have it constantly dry up?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocki...is_just_a_terrible_paste_anyone_else_have_it/

GravitonNg 7 months ago
    "I tried Conductonaut on my both gpu and cpu previously and got great temps but after a year renewing them was a pain and it slight tarnishes the surfaces it touch, I didn't like that so I changed to Noctua's NT-H2.

Seems to work well but it has only been a few months, temps are a few degs higher as expected but I think they should last quite a while without drying out.

I'm confident because my last NT-H1 lasted 5years on my i7-2600k with a NH-D14 without a repaste, I only got kinda worried as I read advice saying we should repast every 2-3yrs just in case, temps were higher than I liked and I thought might as well do a quick reapplication while dedusting ye olde PC"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    100% sure it's just the old in new lipstick:) http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-1368#post-10591228
    upload_2020-2-14_7-20-3.png

From sales link above... The new version of the #1 bestseller: the MX-4 Edition 2019 convinces everyone with its usual quality and performance
    upload_2020-2-14_7-38-25.png
    And bottom same link.
    upload_2020-2-14_7-31-5.png

From my harsh ironic post in 2017. Nothing have really changed.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-and-liquid-metal.806840/page-6#post-10586708
    [​IMG]

Edit...
    upload_2020-2-14_7-52-40.png
    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/mx-4.html

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Vasudev, jclausius, seanwee and 7 others like this.
  3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So it's still garbage

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Put it this way... There is better options for notebooks:)

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan I've a new fav paste Cooler Master Maker Gel with new design. No spread necessary but its thicker than ICD 7/24.
    You should try it on your kids PC. Idle temps seems to be 10C lower than older version while full load temps has variations due to ambient temps. If it ambients are within 24C then full load temps on 2C Pentium LGA Chips that suck more power is 55C if ambient is above 30C then it hovers around 65C.

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    New package design won’t make it any better:D
    upload_2020-2-21_11-41-15.jpeg

Cooler Master Redesigns its TIM Packaging so Parents Don't Think Their Kids are Doing Drugs techpowerup.com by btarunr Jan 17th, 2020

“The design, however, has a downside: the "pea drop" application is impossible, and a somewhat sub-optimal method is being forced upon users. Did Cooler Master just give in to pressure from an uninformed section of the market? Could a printed disclaimer on a conventional round syringe have helped instead?”

7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    That was a stupid move. Just a label that says "THIS IS THERMAL PASTE, NOT DRUGS" would have sufficed.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Buildzoid finally gets to the point around 16:40 - it took 4 applications of LM before he got good temperatures...

Liquid metal on top of an overclocked 3950X kinda makes sense
    Feb 26, 2020
    Actually Hardcore Overclocking

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    An excellent video on thermal epoxy and paste for industrial applications below. He demonstrates lapping techniques, typical TIM materials, and provides the steps for DIY thermal epoxy.

He also recommends cheap indium sheets c.150 micro thickness for non-electrically sensitive applications; they flow into defects at about 100psi. Perforated indium sheets require about half the pressure to flow so might be a better option for lower pressure applications; has anyone here tried these?

He does not have recommend thermal pads and gallium compounds.

The presenter is fascinating. He clearly has a stellar applied science and engineering background but his history is a mystery.

hmscott likes this.