Which surface book 2 should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by starlightimpala, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starlightimpala

starlightimpala Newbie

Reputations:
    Debating between the 13" surface book 2:
    - 256GB storage & 8GB RAM ($2550)
    - 512GB storage & 16GB RAM ($3230)

Both are i7 models, I'll be using it for mostly web surfing, movies, using microsoft word etc. but also some light video editing, I'm no professional, everyone seems to be pointing towards the 16GB RAM, but I'm unsure as the price difference is a massive $800AUD. I will be travelling with this laptop (overseas but also to uni etc.) and I don't really want to wait too long for transferring videos

If it does come down to it, I don't mind forking out a bit extra if it is worth it as I do want this laptop to be long lasting and won't be switching for a while.

I was really wanting the 15" but it's too big for travel :( so I will be buying a monitor in the far future

Please help me! Thanks :)

EDITED:: (added in form)
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? Don't really mind budget as long as it is worth it, but I don't want to pay for something I won't use

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Australia
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: like touchscreens but also like apple
    b. Dislike: none
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Browsing web, watching movies, using photoshop (only from time to time just to edit photos), video editing (very light again, I'm not a professional)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Take with me, travel

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No need as I have ps already

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? A full day around 7ish hrs, for casual use such as using microsoft word and internet browsing

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Prefer seeing in person

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    As long as its not bad? I dont mind
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Any, doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Soon, hopefully within next few weeks
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    A long time, at least 5yrs
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Im not sure how much i need
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What do you need the laptop for?

Maybe filling out the form in the pinned thread and describing your need as detailed as possible will help.

starlightimpala likes this.
  3. starlightimpala

starlightimpala Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for the tip, I've edited the post and added the form in :)

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You'll be just fine with 8GB of RAM. That is a lot of money to pay for the upgraded model with 16GB of RAM, anyway.

I have to ask, why a Surface Book 2? If economic value is a concern, it's pretty far left of center. If you went with a business-class machine like the Dell Latitude 7380, Toshiba Portege X30-W, HP EliteBook Folio 1040, Lenovo ThinkPad X-series - check eBay for refurb units - you can spend a lot less and still get a machine that does what you want. For longevity there's no beating a business-class machine.

Charles

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe the Surface is the only 13" notebook with a touch screen that's using the new Kaby Lake LV quad core CPUs. As always the more rigid you are in terms of what you're willing to accept, the more you're likely to pay. The OP is in Australia too, where notebooks are more expensive.

The only thing that says quad core to me is the video coding. If you're only doing short YouTube videos, then perhaps you're better off with a dual core as you're likely to have a lot more choices. If you're coding movies, then perhaps the quad worth the cost.

Refurbed via eBay is great, particularly manufacturer refurbed, but I'd ask about the warranty. You don't want to be required to send it to the US for service.

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Both options are very overpriced for your needs.

I would recommend the new XPS 13 over Surface Book 2 for anyone who won't need the dGPU or Digitizer (you will not need either)

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I second the XPS 13. You can also get the 2 in 1 which does have pen/digitizer support, and it will be much cheaper than the surface book 2...that way you have enough to purchase dell's awesome 24" touchscreen monitor.(I have one...it's killer).

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It doesn't look like Dell's offering the quad core CPUs in Australia. It doesn't look much cheaper than the Surface either for what you get.

9. starlightimpala

starlightimpala Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I completely forgot I made this thread. Thank you so much to everyone who commented. I did have a look at the Dell and it looks like a great laptop ($600 less than the surface book 2). but I ended up going with the 8GB surface 2 in the end. I think the main reason I stuck with the surface book is because of the surface dial and when I heard it was compatible with the surface book 2 I fell in love with the laptop too. Thanks again to everyone for contributing. I've had this laptop for about 4 months or so now and I can say the only downfall are the window 10 updates because my laptop seems to get a bit of lag sometimes and completely freezes :/ other than that, the display and touchscreen is amazing.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  10. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    5 years at minimum eliminates Surface, Surface Book, or Surface Pro anything. And unless low end video editing of very short duration, the ULV CPU, horrible cooling, lack of a good GPU suited for creating content, and the too thin, too light design means this is not your good laptop choice. And they're glued together, not upgradeable, and for Starbucks surfing duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.