Which set of wheels should I get?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Oct 21, 2012.

?

Which one?

1. Konig Feather

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Konig Daylite

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Enkei Fujin

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Get something else -- please explain

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm planning on upsizing the wheels on my Mazda 3 from 16" stock wheels to 17" aftermarket wheels. After some researching under my budget, I came up with the following wheels to consider and it's not easy to choose just one! I am looking for lightweight wheels that are also durable for daily driving. While I've seen so many people praising Konig, I've also heard that they aren't as durable as Enkei's wheels. However, Enkei wheels are more expensive, so I want to gauge your opinions if Enkei is absolutely necessary for daily driving duty as well.

=Pardon my poor photoshop skills=

Konig Feather (17x7.5; 17.2lbs)
    [​IMG]

Konig Daylite (17x7; 14.5lbs)
    [​IMG]

Enkei Fujin (17x7.5; 16.4lbs)
    [​IMG]

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I've never heard of non-durable alloy wheels? Enkei are nice, but as always with them or BBS, $$$$.

If I were deciding on wheels, price obviously but also take a look at what tire options are available with each. Turns out the 350Z wheels I bought were extreme performance summer tires stock (Potenza RE40's) and were mad expensive for OEM tires.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    brother man. . .

u do know there's sites like tirerack.com where they have vehicle simulators, right? u don't have to ghetto-photoshop rims onto your car. :p

have u ever considered used if u want a "premium" brand? Konigs are pretty mid-grade. Enkei and Rays produces rims for alot of OEM cars, so u know u are getting your moneys worth. also, have u looked into replicas? there's alot of replicas that offer weight savings, great design, but for a fraction of the cost.

only Enkeis i like are the RPF1's.

4. visiom88

Reputations:
    I've tried the simulators, but they look horrible (not that my gheto-shopping looks any better. haha)

Money is the issue. I want the wheel+tire package to be $1,000 or under. Either I have to horribly sacrifice on the tires or mildly compensate on the wheels, and 14.5lbs for 17-inch wheel is too tempting as that will shave off 5lbs per wheel with the right tires. Speaking of tires, these wheels can be fitted with 225/45/17 or 205/50/17 which will have almost no effect on the speedometer.

I've looked at 2006+ Miata replica wheels as well. The only thing that holds me back is that they are replicas: Genuine wheels are supposed to be 17lbs, and I doubt that they will weigh the same.

I don't want to consider used wheels as they don't come with any warranty, and most of them have sketchy descriptions on their condition.

5. houstoned

Reputations:
    is there any particular reason why u're only limiting yourself to Konig and Enkei? that, right there, is really hurting your selection because there are many other brands out there that can provide u with everything u are looking for. if u want 17's and your budget is around $1000 then u will have to decide between a wheel design u prefer and some "ok" tires or settle with a wheel design and get "better" tires.

honestly, there is nothing wrong with going with replicas. they're usually lighter than OEM anyways. for example, if i had a daily beater, i wouldn't mind rocking some BBS LM replicas at all. Rota also makes alot of replicas after popular tuner/import-style wheel companies like Rays, Volks, etc.

there are also alot of online wheel/tire sites that provide wheel + tire packages to help u save some money. there's endless options, really. if u decide to buy used, i'd recommend buying from a reputable shop or car enthusiast forum because there's a better chance of buying something that was better taken care of.

6. visiom88

Reputations:
    I'm not limiting myself to Konig's and Enkei's. I've never bought aftermarket wheels before, there aren't sufficient information available since people don't buy wheels as regularly as tires, and these are the only brands I've found to be well-known, broadly available, and offering decent-looking wheels under $200. Simply put, my knowledge is as deep as what Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct put out on their web sites.

I've been looking at Rota's as you suggested. I like Rota Attack's but the dealers I have found (wheeldude.com and password jdm) overcharge on the tires so I haven't had a luck. Where would you suggest to shop for the wheels?

7. houstoned

Reputations:
    me, personally, i have my guys that i go to for wheel orders because i usually go with custom/more aggressive spec'd forged rims.

u could google "tire and wheel packages" or something of that nature and so many sites will pop up with all kinds of deals. online stores will be able to give u a better deal because they don't have to pay for a B&M store, storage, etc. for example, i just did a quick google search and found a site that has plenty of 17" wheel+tire combos for well under $700-$800. u'll just have to look around, bro.

8. evoler9500

evoler9500 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Konig Daylite is too common wheel, Looks similar to scion TC factory wheel. Get Enkei Fujin

9. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I voted for "get something else". I'm a sucker for OEM and you can probably pick up a set of used Mazdaspeed 3 wheels for a decent price on ebay.

Here's my MS3, really love the look of the wheels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my old Mazda 3 with RX-8 wheels. Again, OEM FTW!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can haz m3? U don't need it, u haz a Mazda! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.