Which one to buy? - Occasional Gaming + DaVinci Resolve Studio

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rooney111, Jun 19, 2020.

?

Which one is more reliable?

1. GS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. G14 RYZEN9

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. rooney111

rooney111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$2300 (USD) or 3500NZD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

14" - 16" screen, thin and light like razer blade/macbook pro 16"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? - New Zealand. If it is listed on https://pricespy.co.nz/ then should be able to buy.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, Razer, Asus
    b. Dislike:Dell (apparently they have overheat more than others)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? -Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? - Video editing with Davinci Resolve, Lightroom and occasional gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? - Both. Battery life is important when not at home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) - Occasionally. Witcher 3, COD MW.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? - 7-10 (current Gigabyte Aero gets 8hrs, old Mac Pro used to get 9hrs)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) FHD or OLED.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) -IPS, not fussy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? - Yes. Least 'gamer' looking the better as I need to take it to office occasionally.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 512gb nvme is ok but I need 1 x spare nvme slot for my video editing spare drive to go into.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? - asap or within next 3 months.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? - 1.5yrs

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? - It would suck but I have a work laptop for emergency stuff. Currently waiting on my Gigabyte Aero 15 to come back from warranty repair :(

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? - I cannot pay significantly extra.

Prefer to have SD card reader. The video software I use is very RAM and graphics hungry and it totally maxed out the gtx 1070 8gb gfx card.

My current choice of Gigabyte Aero 15x v8 was as close as perfect laptop I could find in 2018-2019 but all of a sudden after a bios update the screen stopped working and it has gone for warranty repair. They said it needs new mobo so bit of a wait which is a shame. Otherwise totally love the laptop. Something similar to this one but more reliable.

Thinking of GS66 vs G14 ryzen9 2060 Anyone heard of Infinity?

==========

2. Peto Pedro

Peto Pedro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Get that amd 4900hs and 2060 occasional gaming.. Hook it up with 4k@60 TV or 4k@120 and you set.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The MSI G-series gaming notebooks are usually a good bet. Try the GE65 or the GE66 Raider, or their thin and light versions, the GS65/GS66.

There are a few notebooks with Quadro graphics cards that have more than 8GB of video memory, but they are extremely expensive. An RTX 2060 ought to match the performance of your old GTX 1070, though you'll want an RTX 2070 as it has 8GB of memory. RTX 2060 is only 6GB.

Charles

JRE84 likes this.