Which one should I get? XPS 15, 13, OR SURFACE PRO 4

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Pedrorchaa, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedrorchaa

Pedrorchaa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys.
    I just got to college and I'm going to buy a new notebook. I wanted it to be portable and lightweight. However, i want it to run games (mostly sims 3) with a good performance.

I looked around the web and came across these three great options:

DELL XPS 13 (the latest i7 model): light, portable and beautiful. But Idk if it will run sims 3 smoothly. If it does run, this will be my choice, i think.
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop

DELL XPS 15 (the latest i7 model): It's as beautiful as the 13 version, but has a better graphic card. But it's bigger and heavier. Are theses sacrifices Worth it, or should i get the 13 version?
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

Surface pro 4 (i7 model): My gf has one and she loves it. Says it runs sims 3 just fine, but she only got a few expansions installed, so I also fear it wont run sims 3 smoothly.
    https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4/productID.5072641000

So, what are your opinions guys?
    Thanks in advance.

2. gary1935

gary1935 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I think you gotta to consider more than just your gaming needs if you're looking for a notebook to bring to school. Such as what do you need it for in school (normal presentation, programming, etc), ports that you need (Is 1 USB port enough for you?), etc...

Pedrorchaa likes this.
  3. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Dell XPS 13 is more likely to run Sims (or other games) than SP4. Out of them however, I will say go after the XPS15. It is a bit bigger, but still relatively small for a 15" machine.

Pedrorchaa likes this.
  4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are comparing apples to oranges to pineapples. :) That is, these are very different machines and you should figure out what you need. Here are brief summaries:

The XPS 15 is a laptop with desktop-class performance in a very small form factor. I have this one and I like it so I'm a bit biased, but if you really don't know what you need, I would suggest you go with it because it is the most likely to be satisfactory if you run into a surprise. It will play not only Sims 3, but also just about anything else (albeit not always at the highest settings), it can handle workloads such as compilation or scientific computing and it has a relatively large (and high quality) display.

The XPS 13 is a traditional ultrabook, albeit a fairly high-end one. It's smaller and lighter, but it's not just the graphics card that's different: the CPU is dual-core instead of quad-core and the display is smaller. It will play the Sims 3, but unlike its bigger sibling, it is not well-suited to all games or heavier loads.

The Surface Pro 4 is a tablet that can be used as an ultrabook. It's even smaller and even lighter, but even slower in every way and has fewer ports than the Dell machines. It might play the Sims 3, but not much else. On the other hand, it comes with a pen and you can draw or write on it (the XPS laptops can be configured with touch displays, but they don't come with dedicated pens and it's not all that comfortable to draw on them).

Athonline and Pedrorchaa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.