Which notebooks have Display Port?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by merlin666, Dec 20, 2019.

1. merlin666

merlin666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an old Lenovo T500 that has served me well for about 10 years now, but I didn't upgrade it to Win 10 as there were no drivers for the Graphics card available. I have this connected to a beautiful big high end monitor via Display port. With the end-of-life coming to Windows 7 I am concerned that things like new versions of tax software will not run on Windows 7 and longer so I am contemplating a new notebook to ensure upgrade-ability of crucial software. The main thing for me is to be able to connect this to my monitor so pretty much the only NEED I have for a new laptop is Display Port compatibility. I browsed some sites and it seems that Thunderbolt 3 provides some functions but this port seems to be only available on high end machines, which I don't really need. Are there any current notebooks under $1,000 that have a plain Display Port?

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, especially if you look at business notebooks ...many will have DisplayPort. But you don't need it if the notebook has Thunderbolt 3 or regular USB Type-C that supports DisplayPort over USB Type-C. Many notebooks that go for under $1,000 can be found with those technologies.

If your monitor has HDMI, I don't see why you can't use that. There shouldn't be a picture quality difference versus DisplayPort.

Maybe fill our our FAQ so we can help you narrow down a notebook.

Charles

3. merlin666

merlin666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks the monitor does not have HDMI. I was not aware that USB C is Display Port compatible. Would that also work for my phone? I assume that all I would need is an adapter for my cable?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    USB-C is not inherently DisplayPort compatible. It must be advertised as "supports DisplayPort over USB-C". Otherwise it's a no-go. But Thunderbolt 3 always works with DisplayPort. And yes, you'd need an adapter.

Charles