Which notebook to buy

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by huai, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huai

huai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Long story short, wife has a dell XPS 13 - and wants something smaller of similar build and screen quality. I'd buy her a 12" Macbook but she hates macs. I'm wracking my brain. Any suggestions?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1300

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Email / Internet / Photo Editing / MS Office work

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it different places

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Full day

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p or better

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, paramount

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Between now and August

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 2 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD is a must, 128GB will suffice

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does she want something smaller or lighter? The XPS 13 is already a fairly svelte notebook, so I don't know that you're going to get something that's significantly smaller size wise, though I suppose that's open to interpertation. If you want to shave pound off the weight, the Samsung Notebook 9 might be worth a look.

3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also the closest thing you will truly get to a full day battery life would be a Lenovo ThinkPad X 260 12" laptop. Not XPS or MacBook Thin and weighs a bit more.

4. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Slightly more.

But the battery pack does stick out:

[​IMG]

5. huai

huai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use an X230 and she hates the way it looks, so I doubt x260 is a go.

I haven't heard of notebook 9 before - is this the successor to Ativ book 9? If I recall, there was a smaller (12"?) Ativ 9 - is there an equivalent notebook 9 of small size?

6. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sound like she's picky about the look.

Did she ever say she's into the aesthetics of a particular model?

7. DRFP

DRFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP's new ultrabook specter is thinner and lighter than Apple's

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&eSpotName=hpspectre

and Beautiful for under 1300 with an i5 or i7 at 2.45lbs
    as far as windows 10 is as good if not better than than 7 ( I have beta tested every windows since 3, and yes I told M$ evertime through my ignored Emails what a mess some were..Millenium..Vista...8 to name the big duds ) 7 and now 10 are the best windows OS by far, I would go with the 10 preinstalled when you get the new laptop, it uses memory much better than 7, 10 runs with just 1gb of ram and quite well I may add, I used 10 on a cheap under 100 dollar machine with an Atom processor and 1gb ram for about 6 weeks and it was not too bad be it was a little slow when I ran MS Word and Chrome browser at same time on that machine, I run 10 with my 2 laptops I have now, HP Pavilion 360 (i3 and 8gb ram)and Acer R3 ( Celeron N3050 4gb ram) and both are snappy and run well

"
    HP Spectre
    The world's thinnest laptop1
    This is design and technology taken to a whole new level. Artisan materials and striking craftsmanship create an experience unlike anything else. With a uniquely stunning design 10.4mm thin combined with impressive performance with Intel® Core™ i5 or i7 Processor2, this luxurious laptop is completely irresistible.

Starting at
    $1169.99"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  8. huai

huai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well she's looking for smaller screen, not lighter. However I haven't considered the HP. At the very least worth checking out in person if they carry them in BB or elsewhere.

9. DRFP

DRFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    screen size? hmm thats odd, I have both an 11.6 (12 inches notebook size ) and a 13.3, true fully I like the 13.3 better for word. But lighter I would think she would like better and the new HP specter is sexy, sleek and so far the reviews have been very good. Its also pretty powerful and seems to have a long battery life.
    If it had a touch screen it would be my next but I love touch screens myself..................

10. Jambu95

Jambu95 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The one I'm thinking here is a Razer Blade stealth.
    Great 12.5" screen, small size, good build quality.
    Razer is more known for their gaming products, but this particular blade stealth is a normal ultrabook.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    DRFP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.