Which notebook should I buy?!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 6uga, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6uga

6uga Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    I have around U$2.5k, but if possible I would prefer to spend around 2k (because I have to worry about the shipping, and the accessories)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    It depends, I live in Brazil but the prices here are insane. I'm going to the US at the end of the year, and I have family members going to Europe(Portugal, Spain, France and I think Germany) around December as well, so It can be anywhere that ships to these places without import taxes.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Alienware, Asus ROG(I'm open to suggestions, these are the ones I know are good, but they charge for that quality)
    b. Dislike: No specific brand, but I don't want a laptop with crummy case or structure, because I'll probably use it for 5+ years.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes, and I don't need the box or manuals or anything, I'm even considering buying a used one.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly Gaming, I'll use it for work as well, which includes Photoshop, Coreldraw and some Siemens NX.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I travel a lot for work, so I'll take it everywhere with me.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, I don't have a specific genre I like, I play a lot of Modded Minecraft and I want to play the new RPG games, like Dark Souls III or Witcher.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I never game or work on battery, so I don't need a special one.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying it online is OK, the last 2 I had I bought online(I just worry about the website I'll buy from, last one I bought from HIDevolution)

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    I prefer Windows 7, but If needed I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64x key, so I can install it (if the notebook has drivers for it obviously)

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    At least I want a FHD screen, It's better for gaming and for my work.
    If the budget allows I was thinking of a UHD screen, but I know that would increase the price too much, I would rather have 2 Graphic cards than a UHD screen.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    I have a Glossy one, so I prefer it, but I've used a matte one and had no complaints about it.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    A little, but I prefer a sturdy one, over a pretty and delicate one.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    At the end of November, beginning of December.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 3 years, but If possible 5years(by then I'll probably have settled down, then I'll build a desktop)

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Not a lot about 1TB HD is enough for me(If I need I have a external 2TB drive, r I can swap the internal one in the future) but If possible I prefer a 7200rpm over a 5400rpm.
    I'm used to having my system in a SSD (I have a Samsung EVO 850 256 SSD) which I can use on the new laptop if it doesn't come with one.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Not really, and I have an external Optical Drive, so If I need to pay extra for one, I don't need it.

Obs. I have on my current laptop 32GB of RAM(4x8GB Corsair Value 1.600Mhz DDR3) I don't really know if this frequency would hold my system back playing the new games, if not I have no problem using it on the nem laptop.

Thank you for any Help,
    John!

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    A 1070 is what you probably want. Check out the Clevo P650RS (Sager NP8153), MSI GT62VR, and Asus GL502.

3. 6uga

6uga Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Galm17 for the suggestions,

I was thinking of getting a 17" notebook. When I was looking for the GT62VR Amazon suggested the GT72VR, I'm thinking of getting it...

Do you think the 1070 is capable of running these recent games on a 4k screen? Because I was reading about it, and it said it's designed for a 1440p screen, but MSI has a 4k notebook with a 1070 .

Thank You,
    John.

4. Galm

Reputations:
    Mostly. Witcher 3 would be more like 30 fps. GTA V is playable on high at 4k at 60fps.

If you wanted to max your budget a Clevo P775DM with a 1440p 120Hz screen and GTX 1080 is the best of both worlds. Though that's like 2700 bucks. If you wanted 1440p 120Hz with a 1070 in the same machine its 2250.

The GT72VR got pretty heavily crippled because of the GT73VR. Both of those laptops are less good options now. The GT73 has a high premium because it supports sli, and the GT72 lost a lot of its drive and ram options.

17" and thinner would be the Asus GL702 and Clevo P670.

5. 6uga

6uga Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I can live with that, I play GTA V on minimum settings at 30-35 fps on my current laptop, I'm used to low settings by now...

I hadn't even seen the GT73VR, Would it be an option to buy the GT73VR with one 1070, and sometime next year I'll buy another 1070(or a new pair because I read it's not recommended to have a new GPU in SLi with an old one)

I need to control myself, the P775DM looks awesome, but it would be stretching my budget too much, I think I'll drop the idea of a 4k screen...

The Asus GL702 is the one with a 1060? As far my search went, they are planning on it, but didn't lauch one with a 1070 yet.

I've never seen anyone with a Clevo notebook, are they well made? because I'll probably be closing the lid 2-4 times a day.

Thanks a lot Galm17, and sorry for bothering so much
    John.

6. Jarred Jameson

Jarred Jameson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What I hate about the p775 with 1070 through HIDevolution is that with all the extra additions, it adds like 500 bucks compared to a p670 with all the upgrades I want. I am either forced to downgrade to p670rs or have a basic p775dm3.

How much temp does delidding reduce anyways? It adds like 200 Canadian to get that with the Liquid Ultra. Is it worth getting it?

7. Galm

Reputations:
    Delidding and liquid ultra together helps quite a lot. It would be a serious temp reduction.

8. Galm

Reputations:
    Not sure about that new pair thing for sli down the road. I'm also not sure if you'd need to change the heatsink or anything.

Clevo P series machines all have good build quality. I have a P650RS and it feels really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.